Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Finally, made a decision (T&C, Sands) any last thoughts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/finally-made-a-decision-t-and-c-sands-any-last-thoughts-841618/)

yannis May 24th, 2010 08:53 AM

Finally, made a decision (T&C, Sands) any last thoughts?

Hello all,

Finally, we/I have made a decision, and it is T&C Islands, the Sands at Grace Bay...I am about to go through bookit.com (where they have a deal paylater...6 months same as cash etc--Hope this is not a gimmick). We are planning to travel July 21-28 out of Boston. By the way, what is the cost of a bottle of water there? (I know random question...)
Thanks again for all your support and everyone's responses. Any additional thoughts, words of caution, and any suggestions are appreciated.
yannis

Kristen1206 May 24th, 2010 09:58 AM

You will love the Sands and T&C but I would do a little research on Bookit.com first..I have read some unfavorable things about that company in the past. They may be just fne though..just a good idea to check the reviews on them.

Make sure to eat at Hemingways (at the Sands) and Coco Bistro!!

blamona May 24th, 2010 10:09 AM

book directly with The Sands Resort-no need to go thru bookit. Just check out their cancellaction policy, which is usually about do 1 month before. or book at last minute, it shouldn't be sold out in July.

Sands gives 2 bottled waters per night in the rooms (housekeeping) You can go to IGA supermarket and buy a case for around $7.

virginia May 24th, 2010 10:22 AM

on amazon you can order this book authored by one of our fodor regulars sn blamona:
http://www.amazon.com/Fodors-Focus-T...4722522&sr=1-1

gives detailed info on EVERYthing, except the price of a bottle of water. i don't recall either as we bought by the case (3ppl 2 weeks)

Caribzack May 24th, 2010 10:40 AM

You will love the Sands. make sure to walk over to Bay Bistro for a meal-great B, L and dinners. Also , a short walk away is The Somerset resort, tuesday night buffet on the beach is fantastic, live music, bonfire--reservations a must!

yannis May 25th, 2010 09:47 AM

Again,
Thanks to all. Your input has been very valuable and definitely appreciated. So it looks like I should be buying 4) water by the case :). Now,
1) how 'realistic' is it that we could/would be cooking (I am no chef by any means, but I am the one who's doing the cooking at home) using the kitchen at the Sands? Our 4 year old is a bit ...challenging with food, but she eats anything meat, corn, and mac & cheese...
2) Also, cash vs credit card. Should I have 'lots' of cash on me or would credit card suffice for daily expenses? Would I need to carry cash for that matter (other than maybe up to $1000).
3) Another question, how far (walking/driving distance) is the closest super market?
Finally, I did go through bookit.com and took their offer (through billmelater.com)...it was somewhat of a hassle because I am a first time customer (to billmelater.com) and their special (pay in 6 months same as cash) was ...well special. They did not approve me for the whole amount (hotel + flight) but they approved me for hotel, so my wife did the flights, so now we are through them with a 6 months pay plan...
I hope we are not going to need to connect with BBB (or a lawyer for that matter:).
Thanks again,
yannis

jjuniper Jun 22nd, 2010 10:36 PM

Hi, all,
we'll be at the Sands in July, also, and are interested in yannis' questions #1-3 above if anyone has info to share.
Thanks!

virginia Jun 23rd, 2010 02:26 AM

hi yannis & jj,
#1, there is no reason on earth you can't cook in your condo (besides the fact that you must leave the beach to do so). it will be quite complete with dishes & pots/pans. the grocery has most of what your home store does including mac/cheese plus the ice cream is very creamy. also there is a pizza place on island. you may want to take seasonings you plan to use with you as an $11.00 jar of ?? so you can use a tsp is hardly economical.
#2, i prefer to use cash but thats only because i hate the shock when the bill arrives after i get home and i tend to be a smidge tighter with cash - however a card will certainly work. they have atm's. if using card be sure notify the holder of your dates and destination
#3, i don't know exactly where the new market is that was built to be closer to resorts but walking home with many bags of groceries would be the stopper. you really need to drive, taxi or inquire if sands offers a shuttle van to the store.
provo is a small island but need a vehicle to get around - maybe just get a car for a couple days.
hope this helps you both...

Caribzack Jun 23rd, 2010 02:38 AM

The new Graceway Gourmet is about a 20 minute walk down Gracebay Rd. It is located at the "turn about" in front of Seven Stars resort. As Virginia said walking home would be rough. The Sands does shuttle twice/day to the big IGA on the highway . I think it is $8.00 roundtrip /person