Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Ferry from st. maarten (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ferry-from-st-maarten-526918/)

emcash May 5th, 2005 02:16 PM

Ferry from st. maarten

I am pregnant and thinking about planning a trip to anguilla. I'd rather not take a prop plane, so was considering flying directly to st. maarten and taking the ferry over. How far is the ferry from the st. maarten airport? How long of a drive is it? is it a hassle?

vacationfan May 5th, 2005 03:08 PM

I am also planning a tip to anguilla, and from what i have heard it is about 20 mins. to the ferry from the st. maarten airport (give or take based on traffic) and then about 20-25 min. ferry ride.

I am also curious of the hassle and hope someone else can help out. I am back and forth b/w the plane and the boat. I am flying into St. M., does anyone know the best airline to then go to anguilla on? and how much it costs?

eb May 5th, 2005 03:34 PM

It's been several years since we went to St. Martin; we took the ferry over to Anquilla....it was VERY rough and choppy. I don' think I would take it if I was pregnant. HOWEVER, hopefully someone with some more recent information can help you.

Dejais May 5th, 2005 03:34 PM

I vacation every year in St. Maarten and can help a little with your questions.

The ferry you are asking about goes out of the French side. The airport is on the Dutch. I think vacationfan is correct in her timing. I think it take about 20 mins. or so to get to the ferry and then I believe it is about a half hour ride to Anguilla.

I know they have planes that fly there but can not help with specific info.

Sunnyboy May 5th, 2005 04:57 PM

Taking the Ferry from SXM to AXA is relatively easy. It's about a 20 to 30 minute cab ride (depending on time and traffic) from the airport to the ferry dock in Marigot. Figure about $20US for the taxi fare. At the dock you have to pay a $3US PP Departure Tax and "sign" up for the next ferry (they leave every 30 minutes). You pay the Ferry fare of $12US PP on the boat (in cash - no credit cards). The trip over to AXA takes about 25 minutes. It's generally a fairly smooth ride but once in a while the water can get a "bit lumpy" if a weather front happens to be passing through the area - unfortunately there is no way to predict when or if that will happen on the day you are traveling. I've made this trip numerous times and have never encountered anything very upsetting.

I think Trans Anguilla Air offers charter flight between SXM and AXA. It's a 6 or 7 minute flight. Cost is about $300 one-way for the Charter - sometimes if you are lucky and there is room on someone else's charter they will offer seats at $60 PP one-way but there's never a guarantee they will be flying the day you want to go so the only sure way is to pay the full charter fare.

MaryD May 5th, 2005 04:58 PM

I do this every year & it's a snap: As you exit the airport, you will see a cab stand immediately in front of the door. Tell someone that you want to go to the Anguilla ferry at Marigot (about 20 minute ride/$15-16 for 2). When you get to the ferry dock, find the person with the ledger (behind a counter) and sign everyone's name with your passport numbers. At this point your pay a $3.00 departure tax per person. The ferries run every 30 minutes or so and the ride to Anguilla takes about 25 minutes. You pay $12 per person on the ferry. Once you're in Anguilla, you will go through immigration and customs. When you exit the ferry dock building, you will see some cabs. Get one & tell them you where you want to go. Fares are Gov't regulated.

shoewho May 5th, 2005 05:13 PM

Hi
We have been to Anguilla many times and only flew in once. We always fly direct to St Maarten then ferry over. It is very easy After you arrive just get a cab to the ferry, you can enjoy the ride and see a little of St Maartin! When you get to the ferry you sign up and pay a few dollars fee. I think the ferry ride is now 12 dollars a person . As for the ride sometimes it is a bit rough but just sit by an open window.I am a very sea sick person but I always manage to be ok. There are a few ferrys if you get lucky you will get the big one with the seats on top. The big one is a bit smoother.Its a pretty quick ride we definetly prefer the ferry.

vacationfan May 5th, 2005 06:57 PM

thanks for all the info... Sounds as though most do the ferry, is this the recommended method, and much better then taking the flight from SXM to AXA.

blamona May 6th, 2005 04:13 AM

At the ferry dock, someone will watch your luggage as long as you want (don't forget to tip!) so you can eat and shop around Marigot before taking the ferry. Also, check the size plane you are on to SXM, it has also been known to be a turbo prop from San Juan. (Although most are big jets)

emcash May 6th, 2005 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your posts. We can get direct jet service to st. maarten from NYC. I appreciate the advice.

nonstop May 22nd, 2005 07:24 PM

is it ever a problem to get to the ferry only to have it overbooked thus having to wait another 1/2 hour in order to que up?

Donna_M Sep 4th, 2005 04:08 PM

I have a related question. Is there a ferry that runs right from the SXM airport over to Anguilla or just private charter boats? BTW, we went last November and used the taxi/ferry combo and it was fine but I thought I heard there was a more direct way right from the airport.

MaryD Sep 4th, 2005 05:03 PM

There are private boats ($285 one way) that will take you thru Anguilla immigration & then to the beach of the resort where you're staying.

Donna_M Sep 15th, 2005 06:15 AM

There is fare info on the ferry website about a direct Juliana to Anguilla ferry but no reply to my email inquiry. Does anyone know how it works? ( Fodors mentions it in the "How to get there" section too! )

ALR Sep 15th, 2005 06:46 AM

Donna,
I don't think the Link/Fodor's ferry web site info is current. Last time I checked (June), the only direct boat from Juliana to Anguilla was by private charter for around $285/one way for up to 4 people (try emailing gotcha@ anguillanet.com) or the Cap Juluca shuttle ($55/ony way per person), designed for their guests. I have seen info posted about a ferry from Phillipsburg, also on the Dutch side, to Anguilla with a limited schedule, but have never used it to know if it is operating.

OT Sep 15th, 2005 10:46 PM

The Link ferry from Juliana was in operation during a short period last year when the Anguilla airport was shut due to runway extension work.

I highly recommend using Gary "Gotcha" Richardson, he charges $285 each way for 1-4 person in his smallest boat, it's 31 foot semi-covered boat. He also have a 48 foot boat, price $500 for up to 8 passengers.

We used him last year, and have booked again this year. Very comfortable and cuts out the hassle of taxi to Marigot and the ferry. We were in Anguilla less than one hour after landing.

his email is [email protected]

Laby Nov 14th, 2005 08:40 AM

ALR and OT are incorrect. The Link Ferry is still operating from the St. Maarten airport. I received an e-mail answer just last week from Link's owner, Franklin Connor. He wrote that he charges $40 per person each way from the airport and that he operates this service about three or four times a day depending upon the number of advance reservations he receives. His e-mail address is [email protected] if anyone wishes to contact him about this service.

MIM04 Nov 14th, 2005 09:15 AM

The ferry is super easy, but I would not take it while PG. the water can be really choppy and sometimes really rough. I would fly JFK to SJU and SJU to AXA on American. GL