Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Favorite Curacao restaurant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/favorite-curacao-restaurant-290750/)

Hayden Feb 20th, 2003 09:02 AM

Favorite Curacao restaurant?

Any ideas about all kinds of restaurants are welcome, from fish shack to french meals. Thanks.

Knowing Feb 20th, 2003 01:39 PM

Our favorite is Bistro Le Clochard, which is french. Other recommendations are:<BR>Blues-Seafood<BR>Rijsttafel-Indonesian<BR>Fisherman's Wharf-Seafood<BR>Froet's Garden of Eden - Seafood<BR>Pisces-Creole<BR>Small World-International<BR>

IslandGrl Feb 21st, 2003 08:00 AM

For informal lunch choices, Hook's Hut at Piscadera Bay is a great choice. If you venture up to Westpunt, Jaanchies is also a good seafood lunch spot.

putch Mar 9th, 2003 11:47 AM

HOOK'S HUT IS A HORRIBLE PLACE TO EAT!<BR>We just returned from a week in Curacao.<BR>We had the misfortune to go to Hook's Hut one day. It was one of the worst meals I've ever eaten. It was an expensive buffet that began with dreadful COLD banana soup, UGH! The salads offered were beyond awful. They were obviously prepared with cheap ingredients and the shrimp were microscopic. We told the manager what we thought of the meal and she basically couldn't have cared less. I am warning anybody reading this to stay away from this place.<BR>Blues at the Avila Beach Hotel has a wonderful buffet, price fixed, on Friday nights that is filled with sensationally prepared dishes, including lamb chops, jumbo shrimp, sliced duck, caesar salad, etc. Thoroughly enjoyable and worth the money. <BR>Fisherman's Wharf is a delightful place to eat. The food was excellent and prepared in unusual ways. A winner.<BR>Mas Bango was another good place to eat.Kind of a combination of Spanish and local food. You eat outdoors at a marina and the food was abundant and tasty.<BR>Jaanchie's, for lunch, was not too great. True, the owner is a character and entertaining but the food was very overcooked and there was no menu and I was skeptical about the cost they came up with for the lunch. $40 for 2 people who had only 1 dish each and a soda and a local beer seemed excessive.<BR>Believe what I'm telling you. My husbad and I are discriminating eaters and when something is inferior we recognize it.

IslandGrl Mar 10th, 2003 08:50 AM

Well, I am ALSO a discriminating eater, and BELIEVE ME what I tell you. There was no buffet at Hook's Hut when we went, so I can't speak to your experience. But what we DID order was very good, the place is always busy, and we went there as a result of the rave reviews of other travellers.<BR><BR>

annesherrod Mar 10th, 2003 04:47 PM

My family and I are (3 kids, 17,11,7) are going to Caracao in a week. I appreciate reading about the restaurant choices and opinions.<BR>Any other ideas for a family , other than the Aquarium,the Big park(Chrisophel sp) we will do them but would live other ideas,<BR>staying at the Marriott. I personally just want to read on the beach or pool and snorkel. :]

Knowing Mar 11th, 2003 12:48 PM

Anne, <BR>there are also the sunset and snorkeling cruises, golf, horseback riding, tennis, trolley tours, shopping, the forts, museums, a plantation house and the hato caves. Lots of good restaurants in Curacao, so even though the food is good at the Marriot, make sure you try some of the other places as well.

putch Mar 13th, 2003 05:50 AM

maybe there are 2 Hook's Hut restaurants on Curacao. We, obviously, did not eat at the same place. Did you eat there a while ago? Our experience was a little more than 3 weeks ago. It seems odd that we would have such dramatically different experiences. We ate dinner there and not lunch. Maybe they serve the &quot;good stuff&quot; at lunch and serve crap for supper!<BR>I, normally, am not so aggressively against a restaurant but this was so terrible that it made my blood boil to have spent almost $100 and have had such terrible food.

IslandGrl Mar 13th, 2003 06:43 AM

I was there four weeks ago. I agree that lunch and dinner could be totally different experiences. Let's face it, for lunch, my expectations would be a lot lower. Still, I liked the place for its location and ambience. Can't speak for dinner there.

putch Mar 14th, 2003 05:22 AM

i agree that lunch and dinner at Hook's Hut might be different. it's just that the buffet we went to was so disappointing i saw red when i read something &quot;positive&quot; about the place.<BR>i enjoyed so many things about curacao that it was a change of pace to have a lousy dinner. <BR>i think some of the best meals we've ever eaten in the caribbean was when we went to st. martin in the early '90's and ate in the town of grand case or at the mini club in marigot. i wonder if it's still exceptional.<BR>well, it's on to a new place next year since we haven't really find our ideal island yet and we've been to many...