Fast food in Aruba

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Kris

Fast food in Aruba

Can someone tell me if there is fast food restaurants near the Marriott? I will be staying there in August, and don't want to spend alot of $ on food.Also, how is the Marriott's beach?

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Jane

There is a McDonald's in the downtown area.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 06:19 AM
Kris

Is Marriott Aruba anywhere near downtown?

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 06:55 AM
Vickie

Kris,

The Marriott is the farthest hotel from downtown; there are NO fast foods near the Marriott. I stayed there last July and ended up spending a lot for meals, since there were no restaurants within walking distance, and cabs would have cost as much as eating at the Marriott. Renting a car would have solved the problem, but again, once you pay for the car, you might as well have eaten at the Marriott... The thing I wish I had done is stop at one the convenience stores/markets on the way to the Marriott from the airport (the taxi would have waited)so I could stock up on soda/snacks.

The beachfront restaurant was a great place for lunch each day (figure on at least $10, without drinks) - dinners in the restaurant were nothing special. You could check out the Hyatt next door for other dining options, but probably no bargains there either!

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 01:24 PM
tobey

You can reach many fast-food places by taking the local bus, which is safe and inexpensive. Closest fast food to the Marriott, I believe, is a Wendy's just east of the Wyndham. Also, try eating at the Hadicurari (sp?), between the Marriott and Holiday Inn - more money than fast food, but cheaper than the fancy places. Of course, if you rent a car (which you might want to consider for at least a couple of days), you can get to all kinds of ienxpensive food outlets.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 04:26 PM
Kris

Thank you so much for all of your advice.
How is the Marriott's property? I am actually staying at the Marriott Ocean club villas.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 01:28 PM
tobey

We stayed a few miles south of the Marriott, at the Manchebo, but we did sail past the Marriott area. The beach looked very nice, and the best part is that the Marriott complex (hotels and condos) is off by itself, north of the heart of the "high-rise" area where the hotels are rather close together. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 04:35 PM
edye

Hey Kris, the previous info you have received is fairly correct. The Marriott is at the far end of the hotel strip. The lineup of hotels is the Allegro, Hyatt, Playa Linda, Holiday Inn and Marriott. I can assure from recent experience (in June '00) that across from the Playa Linda is a Dunkin Donuts. IN the entrance area of the Playa Linda is a Subway and a small market and a TCBY. Across the street from the Hyatt is McDonalds and Wendy's and some other stuff nearby. These places are all much closer than "downtown", but still are a hot walk away from the Marriott in August. The Ocean Clubs villas have full ktchens so you should definitely stop at a grocery store (there are 2 big ones) to get full use of your kitchen. In the worse case, a cab to the Hyatt/Playa Linda should cost $5 ea way at most. Have a nice time. The beach up there is beautiful by the way. Oh and the food at the Hyatt is all great, and you'll find The Palms restaurant to be the least $ on that property. Hyatt has a good 2 for 1 happy hour at their Pier Bar, not sure about the Marriott.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 03:17 AM
Aruba Dave

Walking along the beachfront from the Mariott down-beach to the hi-rise strip will take about 10 - 15 mins less than by walking out the front door and down the road. Once you reach the hi-rise area there are many fast-food restaurants incl Dunkin Donuts, Subway, McDs, Wendys as well as moderate priced restaurants with great food for your enjoyment. The best part is that you can walk along both road/beach at just about any hour of the evening and never feel apprehensive about your safety. The Mariott Ocean Club is a great timeshare place even though its just a little bit out of the way.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 01:34 PM
Kristin

Thanks for all of your advice! I visited Aruba many years ago and stayed at the Wyndham before the Marriott was even built. I really enjoyed the Wyndham hotel, I found it to be clean, and a short walk to the Hyatt which I fell in love with. Although, it is a little out of my price range.