Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Fashion Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/fashion-question-355017/)

SandyFeet Sep 4th, 2003 06:52 AM

Fashion Question

I know this may sound stupid.....
We all know it is a big fashion No-No to wear white after Labor Day. Is it acceptable to wear white (pants, shorts) after labor day in the caribbean??

Please don't laugh at my dumb question

shak Sep 4th, 2003 07:04 AM

as far as i know you can wear white any time of the year in the caribbean. you're on vacation wear anything you feel comfortable in. It can get really hot so white will be cooler than black or dark colors to walk around in. Enjoy your trip.

SandyFeet Sep 4th, 2003 07:11 AM

Thanks........I didn't want to be a DON'T :)

rwilliams Sep 4th, 2003 07:45 AM

The old convention about white after Labor Day is no longer 'enforced', even in the States.
There are some interesting notes about the history of this elsewhere on the web.

SandyFeet Sep 4th, 2003 08:13 AM

Where I live on Long Island just outstde NYC, if you are not an 18 year old super model wearing Armani, it looks utterly out of place. Actually wearing stark white in the winter looks more like Mumenshantz (?) than "fashion".

I bought some really pretty things this year, but due to the terrible summer this year, I did not get a chance to wear many of my new things. I'm sure the weather in Anguilla this November will be much better than here!

Diana Sep 4th, 2003 08:18 AM

Although I live in the South, I am still religious about not wearing white after Labor Day even though it's in the 90's here. :)

White is a good choice in the Caribbean because is it cool, but I find that I am always getting my white pants or shorts dirty because so much of the Caribbean that I visit is very casual.

For example, many taxis are high-volume mini-buses that have lots of people in and out with wet bottoms from beaching it. Sitting on the fabric seat after someone can quickly make your white shorts/pants a little "sheer."

Many restaurants are open air, in palm groves or under trees, and have little bits of sand, palm detritus, etc., on the seats.

For these and other reasons, I no longer take more than a pair or two of white shorts or pants. I do take a LOT of white tops.

(Nothing looks better against that Caribbean tan than a white sundress though ;)

penny Sep 4th, 2003 08:34 AM

Hi Sandyfeet, just relax, and wear white
its not a problem. This summer has been cold, wet, and just awful, so enjoy your new things on vacation.

SandyFeet Sep 4th, 2003 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone.........
I know its stupid...but even though we dress casual in the caribbean, I still like to look nice. I've been to many places and I never brought any white clothes, except for shirts. I usually pack them away for the next summer after labor day.

P.S. for Penny
I did not forget about your question regarding private boat charter and pre clearing passports! As soon as I know I will post:)

penny Sep 4th, 2003 09:28 AM

Thanks SandyFeet, I would love to avoid Blowing Point on arrival too! We gave our passport info on departure, so we could skip it!
Will offshoresensations drop you off at CJ?

SandyFeet Sep 4th, 2003 09:46 AM

I don't know yet, i'm going to call him soon. I did not want to bother him with such a question while Fabien was blowing their way. Have you used them?

penny Sep 4th, 2003 10:18 AM

Looks like Fabian is on its way to another favorite of mine-Bermuda.

No I have not used them, but read good reviews on carribean on line. I booked my pick up thru CJ, they used No Fear,
and their own boat The Justice. Gotcha is a good pick up too. Many people use them. Upon arrival we had a perfect day, smooth crossing! On our way back it was a litte rough, and we were racing a storm.
Another couple at the hotel got picked up by the new enclosed cabin No Fear-or Funtime-(cannot remember which one)and stayed dry. We did too, as we missed the squall. I have been out on The Justice many times for the sunset cruise, the boat handles waves very well, and so does the crew! It is almost impossible to get as it is out with hotel excursions all the time. Rumor has it that this boat was sold to CuisinArt, and CJ will have 2 new boats.

PeggyE Sep 4th, 2003 10:18 AM

I am glad I live in California. The thought of worrying about wearing white in conjuction with a date on the calendar seems really silly to me! Does that apply to black in the summer also?

SandyFeet Sep 4th, 2003 10:33 AM

Fashion is different in NYC and the surrounding suburbs. Black is always in. You would not however wear black wool in the summer - It gets very cold and I guess very dirty here in the colder months. California has a completely different way of dressing, as the weather does not get cold and bleak you can get away with wearing light colored fabrics. A pair of white pants would stay white a few seconds on a NYC street with puddles and slush all over the place. We don't even wear our shoes until we get to the office! We carry them in a tote and wear our sneakers or boots then change.
To tell you the truth my husband and I are getting very sick of the winters here. After Thanksgiving its all down hill until April. Ahh to live in a place thats you can wear white, pastels and summery prints when ever you want and not have to change seasonal clothes 3X per year.

PeggyE Sep 4th, 2003 12:49 PM

Wow, never thought of it like that. Just when I was thinking living in a climate with drastic seasonal changes would be fun! We do get temperature swings from season to season in the desert but it is basically clean & as of today, & probably through the end of Oct, maybe up until Thansgiving will be wearing white, linens & pastels & open toed shoes!

penny Sep 4th, 2003 01:12 PM

Black has always been in--- in NYC area for many many years! Never heard of the dirt reason, the city is much cleaner now than in the 70's. I wear black linen most of the summer, just like it!
I have always thought the white after
labor day was odd, no ones pays that much attention to it anymore, unless you
work in the fashion industry!

Caribbean_Rez Sep 4th, 2003 01:52 PM

I think the white after labor day is odd also. I live outside of Philly and I wore black and white pin stripe pants today with a white top, however I never wear white shoes! As long as it stays warm I'll continue to wear white!

saharabee Sep 4th, 2003 02:09 PM

Those of you who ignore the fashion dictate that white shoes should never be seen after labour day obviously don't remember the black humour movie with Kathleen Turner which was called "Serial Mom", I believe.

Turner played the "perfect" suburban housewife and mother who was secretly doing away with family friends and community members who contradicted or upset her perfect little world in any fashion (sorry - couldn't resist the pun).

Anyhow, she gets arrested and tried for murder. Family and friends of course stand by her through the trial and one well-groomed female juror is single-handedly responsible for getting Kathleen acquitted after the two of them seem to establish an eye contact rapport of 2 like-minded ladies who knew just what was right in life and what was not.

Unfortunately, the juror's reward was to be murdered by Kathleen in a phone booth outside the coutroom after the acquittal. Her offense? Kathleen had spotted her white shoes (after Labour Day) during the verdict delivery!

Ignore the fashion rules at your peril - LOL.

Diana Sep 4th, 2003 03:09 PM

Oh, "Serial Mom!"

I had to see that movie after several friends started calling me that.
I must say that I identified more with the title character than anyone else in the movie.

As far as the "white rule" goes, I wear white sandals in the Caribbean no matter what time of year I visit, but I don't wear them at all after Labor Day in the States no matter what.
(Of course, one can then wear white shoes on Easter, but must put them away again until Memorial Day.)

Personally, I feel white pumps are a capital offense no matter what time of year or where they are worn unless they are underneath a white wedding gown!
But some people think fanny packs are fashionable as well. ;)

Certainly we all have our own ideas of what is proper and acceptable in what we choose to wear, and I think we should make those choices based on what we like or feel comfortable with.

Just because I refuse to leave the house unless my shoes, belt and bag match does not make me any more "correct" than anyone else - it is just the way I was raised and choose to dress.

wow Sep 4th, 2003 03:38 PM

The shoe/belt/bag match went out about 1958!

island_babe Sep 4th, 2003 04:22 PM

The great thing about living in the Caribbean is that the "fashion trends" do not apply to us. We can wear whatever we want all year round :D