Family with two teen boys and my dad/ their grandpa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to find a great resort to go that my two teen boys will be kept busy enough (watersports/ snorkeling) and there will be enough creature comforts for my dad - nice shaded beach chairs and pool - decent rooms. Preferably a resort in which you can walk to fun beachside restaurants or a quick drive away (not british style) But prefer not to rent a car. I love beachside snorkeling - we don't love boats. Did not like Aruba. Been to Jamaica.Liked Negril. Love Kauai best of all for a beach vacation but too far. Thinking Turks and Caicos or Cayman or St. John. Any help would be great. Please do not suggest higher end places like Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons as we cannot afford that. Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 12:35 PM

How about Cinnamon Bay on St John? Snorkeling, water sports on the premises. Sure there are community bathrooms, but it is right on the water. ;-)
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

I will look into it! @eastenderusvi ! Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 04:02 AM

If driving on the left (i.e. "British Style") is not for you than forget about going to Grand Cayman or the Turks & Caicos. Best stick to one of the USVi's where you drive on the right.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 06:06 AM

But for another note about driving--TCI and Caymans are flat and small, so driving British style is actually much easier than driving American style at St. John being so curvy and hilly.

Sounds like a contradition, but it's much easier in Turks than Virgin Islands, even with driving on the other side.

Just thought I'd put that out there

And in St. John you have to pretty much either drive or taxi everywhere, the other 2 you can stay close to a clump of restaurants and shops, and only have to drive a couple of days to explore or venture outside of hubs.

As for beachside snorkeling, all 3 have it but most resorts to stay aren't close to all-either close to the hubs, or close to snorkeling, so sooner or later you'll have to drive
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Actually you drive on the left in the US Virgin Islands.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM

I think Grand Cayman would be a good fit for you. We were just there about a year ago and stayed at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. It's a smallish resort located in a great section of the beach since about everything is walkable from there. We only took a taxi one time to a restaurant and we took the wonderful local bus ($2/pp each way) into Georgetown one day. A taxi would have cost about $20 each way. We had a separate bedroom and a living room with a kitchenette (small refrigerator, microwave and sink along with a few dishes). There was plenty of shade on the beach and we never had a problem finding a beach chair. There was good snorkeling right off the beach. There are lots of water activities on Grand Cayman and of course don't miss Stingray City.

Grand Cayman is pricey but there are some more affordable restaurants plus if you have a kitchen you can easily fix a couple of meals. There's a large American style grocery store well situated along 7 Mile Beach. It's about 2 long blocks from the Beach Suites and they even allow you to take a grocery cart back to the resort. Just leave it outside and a van from the grocery store comes along that evening and picks up all the carts.

On our first visit to Grand Cayman we stayed at the Westin. That's a lovely hotel but we preferred having the extra room at the Beach Suites.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:56 AM

Look at The Buccaneer on USVI St Croix. You can search under my screen name and find more information and how much we loved it (family trip of two parents and three 20-somethings).

http://www.thebuccaneer.com/

Their oceanfront rooms are wonderful, with private patios oceanside.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 10:22 AM

PS The Buccaneer is a family-owned resort, and they love catering to families. Contact them directly, for help with your reservations. I had reserved three oceanview rooms in the big house, but they upgraded us to three deluxe oceanfront rooms. I had told them this was a big family celebration we were having, and the owner remembered to congratulate us
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Going to do some research now! I will let you know what I find.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 08:24 PM

The Buccaneer has free kayaks and snorkel gear to use. There are employees at two of the three beaches, to help you. Snorkel trips leave from the hotel pier. Free scuba starter lesson at the resort, and scuba trips from Christiansted (sp?).
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 02:48 AM

Taber forgive me, (and Buccaneer is a nice resort), I don't think it's what OP is looking for-- you can't walk to fun beachside restaurants, and pretty much requires a car (or taxi). It's nice in that's it's isolated--

To me it sounds as they want walking access to some places-- if not, we could recommend many more properties!

Many islands are small-- just want to make sure the OP understands Buccaneer requires transport of some sort
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 11:29 AM

I disagree, blamona.

From the OP, the Buccaneer ticks almost all the boxes. Two beachside restaurants, plus another restaurant on the hill, with sweeping views of the water. There are all the creature comforts you'd want, including a spa. Shade and chairs on the beaches, plus golf and tennis.

The resort will arrange a car to drive you into town and back, if you want to dine elsewhere.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Roams Around: I am amazed that you forgot we drive on the left in the USVI!! I thought you knew everything!! LOL
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:12 PM

Good grief! I had brain fade - I was thinking of Puerto Rico!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 06:48 AM

In the USVI, driving on the left, AND having the steering wheel on the left, was challenging for us. I made DH do it. He's not easily rattled. ha