Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   family with teenagers (13&15) in Grand Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/family-with-teenagers-13-and-15-in-grand-cayman-111689/)

Kathie Mar 12th, 2001 09:36 AM

family with teenagers (13&15) in Grand Cayman

We are taking our two teenagers ages 13 and 15 to Grand Cayman for a week and would appreciate any suggestions for restaurants, night life for all of us and generally fun things to do. We are staying on 7 mile beach and will have a car. Thanks!!

Jackie Mar 12th, 2001 12:51 PM

<BR>#1 thing is a trip to Stingray Sandbar. You'll all love it. If there are non snorkelers in the family, GC is a great place to learn. <BR> <BR>Breakfast buffet at Hooks Grotto (Treasure Island) is a great value, esp for growing boys. Fun atmosphere too. We like the Edge restaurant in Boddentown, very reasonable for any meal. Great snorkeling there, too. They might enjoy feeding time (tarpon) at the Wharf --- it gets mixed reviews for food & service. <BR> <BR>A daytrip to Brac for drama. A submarine trip. An afternoon at Rum Point in the hammocks. If they enjoy hiking & nature the Botanical Gardens. The hotels usually have several nights with steel pans or other entertainment --- find out & go for supper or at least dessert & drinks, & hang around for the show. Red Sail can arrange watersports. Others too, but just know Red Sail. Hell is goofy as all get out, but they'll probably enjoy sticking their head thru the plywood devil for a picture. And of course, the Turtle Farm. <BR> <BR>I'd suggest renting a jeep. The boys will have a blast. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Tera Mar 12th, 2001 02:57 PM

Jackie had some good suggestions. One thing to keep in mind is there are no water parks, putt putt golf courses, or other somewhat typical seaside activities in GC...unless I've missed them. Our teen classified the Carib in general as boring due to the absence of such things...ridiculous, but if you're under 18 you may miss it. I hope you have a wonderful time.

travaler Mar 13th, 2001 03:36 AM

We liked The Wharf and Almond Tree

jackie Mar 13th, 2001 01:59 PM

Kathie, <BR>We took our 11 & 14 year olds there last year. Definitely Stingray City was a highlight. They also enjoyed beach hopping - we hit 7 different beaches. Both kids really enjoyed dinner at the Blue Parrot. It's on the water and they show the sports network on an old oil storage tank outside. Hooks is also fun and they liked the food at P.D.s pub. There is mini golf at the Hyatt. My kids enjoyed it but it is expensive. I think it's a perfect place to take kids; safe, friendly and familiar. Have a great holiday!

kathie Mar 14th, 2001 07:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, we are all very excited, not leaving until Sat. so any more suggestions are welcome! Thanks again

Nancy Mar 26th, 2001 04:04 PM

We always stay at the Hyatt, and the kids love it. They meet lots of kids their age, and with a great beach and many pools they are always entertained. We have done the submarine, the pirate ship, the turtle farm, and deep sea fishing, and they loved it all. Their favorite place to eat was the Lonestar, which is right next to the Hyatt. Good burgers, taco salads, etc.