Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Family vacation in January-Need help to decide on following resorts!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our 2 children-ages 18 and 22, will be going away with our friends and their 23 year old daughter. The following resorts have been recommended to us and fall within our budget

Rincon Beach Resort
Hilton Caribe in Puerto Rico
Marriott in St. Kitts
Ti Kaye in St. Lucia

Does anyone have any thoughts?? We are leaning towards Tikaye but concerned that it is in a very remote location with not allot to do in the evenings.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Hi again rjbriskin,

Ti Kaye would be lovely if you rent a car and are prepared to drive after dark some nights. It's not far from Anse Chastanet or a bit further to Ladera where you can go for lunch or dinner to ring the changes (or somewhere local in Soufriere).
Did you consider splitting your stay at Ti Kaye with a resort in the Rodney Bat area of St.Lucia? This would give you far more options regarding nightlife and more of an opportunity to explore the island.

I'd also recommend you rent a car for convenience if you choose the St.Kitts Marriott as taxis are expensive and the Marriott is quite a way from Basseterre (where I lived many moons ago).
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your input. I am really concerned that TiKaye will be boring for the kids and that it reads more like a honeymoon destination than a family vacation spot. So my girlfriend did some research and came up with the other hotels I mentioned. Maybe I should look into the Rodney Bat area. Any place in particular???
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM

There are quite a few resorts in the Rodney Bay area including a couple of Sandals.
We stayed in a rental apartment so I can't give you much help. I will say we talked to a couple of families while zip lining and heard great things about Windjammer Landing.
You might want to check it out as a start and look at reviews on Tripadvisor too.. there's an active St.Lucia forum and many resorts are mentioned.

http://www.windjammer-landing.com/

I don't want to put you off Ti Kaye but we only saw one family (with just one child ) there on our two visits. It did seem like a couples orientated resort. That said we were there to just have lunch with our daughter (13)and she really liked the resort, would have been perfectly happy to stay there especially as she had the pool more or less to herself.
We also noticed that one or two catamarans full of snorkelers turn up at the beach daily so the beach does get busy most afternoons...
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:29 PM

We stayed at Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia a few weeks ago (and posted a review on www.tripadvisor.com). The island of St. Lucia is just beautiful with a very diverse geography/topography (beautiful beaches, mountains, rain forests). The resort is nice, and there is certainly fun & activities to be found, but you will likely want to leave the resort property a few days during your trip. Day sails down to the Pitons (private sailboats from Bateau Mygo based in Marigot), day trips organized through the Windjammer activity desk, or you can grab a cab (or rent a car) to visit Rodney Bay, Castries, the rain Forrest, drive thru volcano etc. Enjoy~
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice on WIndjammer. We decided to switch gears and go to the Dominican Republic and go to Hotel Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantando. Has anyone gone there???