Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Thomas to St. John, car rental, groceries, ferry and stress - Is timing everything?

Search

St. Thomas to St. John, car rental, groceries, ferry and stress - Is timing everything?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are flying into St. Thomas, arriving at 2:41 in the afternoon. We plan to pick up our vehicle at the terminal by 3, drive to the St. John ferry at Red Hook (another 25-30 minutes). I'd like to get some groceries on the way.

I guess that means I'd want to take a 4:30ish ferry. I see that there are 3 separate operators. Do I need to book a reservation and a time in advance? Can we just show up? If we do book a reservation, what if our flight is delayed?

Am I stressing too much or what???????
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Nancy, you're definitely stressing too much. This is vacation. You are supposed to relax and enjoy yourself. I think you are getting too concerned about all these $ saving details and sacrificing the quality of the trip.

The drive to Red Hook probably will take longer than 30 minutes. The roads are winding and you'll have to navigate your way (it took us 45 minutes in a cab). As for the car ferry from Red Hook it runs every 2 hours (see schedule on this website http://www.st-thomas.com/tuglife/) so it looks like you'd be taking the 6:00 ferry, which gives you a comfortable amount of time to pick up your rental, stop at K-Mart for provisions, get a bite to eat for your family and make the ferry. Not all the ferries accomodate cars, most are just for passengers.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

tpatricco - thanks for the input. You are right. I am focused on the $ part because I'm a stay-at-home-mother and am just used to that being a part of the role! As for the timing, it sounds fine. Do you know if reservations are needed for the car ferry? Does it generally fill up?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:14 PM

We've never taken the car ferry. We usually take the passenger ferry from Charlotte Amalie, and rent our car on STJ. I suspect in summer the ferry is not booked, so you should be fine without a reservation.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Small correction. There is a barge leaving every half hour Monday to Saturday. Last one leaves St. Thomas at 7 PM. No reservations are needed or taken.
Since here are three companies, if you buy a RT, $35, you must return with the same company, sort of. If you travel with the grey ones, Boynes, you have to return with them. They leave on the half hour on both sides, when running on time. If you travel with the black and white ones, Roanoke or Captain Vic. They take each others tickets, so no problem exchanging. With that in mind, they leave on the hour. Capt. Vic does not run on Sundays. One way is $22 if you just want to go with the first one each time. No need to stress!
Ronnie
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tpatricco and Ron! You've made me feel so much more at ease! I love the travel forum - so many helpful and knowledgeable people.