Family Trip Suggestions

Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Family Trip Suggestions

Would appreciate any recommendations, suggestions, etc. for a trip to the Caribbean for a family of four, consisting of two children, ages 4 and 6. We love the beach, especially crystal clear water and pure white sand, and have to be able to snorkel. We have been to Jamaica, portions of Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica and a couple of the Bahama Islands, and now would like to try something new. I have done a decent amount of research and so far, Turks and Caicos look the best, but it is also the most expensive. Looking to keep our budget under 4K if possible. Please, any help or ideas would really be appreciated.
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Check out Grand Cayman. It seems to fit your criteria. You can find everything from a Hotel 6 to the Ritz Carlton and private beachfront villas.
Dec 6th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Nevisian, that was my second choice and the one I was leaning towards. Does anyone have a cost comparison for food, etc., compared to other islands, and are there local markets?
Dec 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM

We are headed to Isla Mujeres (a small island close to Cancun) for Easter Break this year with our kids. I think it would fit your requirements. There are many snokeling areas and nice beaches. We are staying at a higher end place and our total cost for air and hotel for the 3 kids is around $4800. Look at islamujeres.info for more information about the island.
Dec 7th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Your family will enjoy Grand Cayman's gorgeous sEven Mile Beach, Shallow snorkling options around the island (Smith Cove, Public Beach Bodden Town, snorkling stingray city/Sandbar, Snorkling Kaibo, rum Point, in shallows of East End (Check if no currents)...
All crystal clear h2o!!
Dining options range from family friendly to 4 star specialty meals.
Dec 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Beachbum2 for the info. We have actually been there already and loved it. Kids loved riding around on the golfcarts and the sea turtle preserve. My wife loved the shops and I the beaches. Thank you.

For those who have recommended Grand Cayman, how does it compare in costs to other Caribbean Islands. Will it cost me alot to feed my family for a week?
Dec 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM

For Grand Cayman with a family with young children, it need not cost a lot to feed them.

Eating out is quite expensive (but no more so than any major US city...I just came back from a business trip to Vegas.. ouch!), but alcohol in Cayman IS expensive (high excise duties on alcohol).

Would highly recommend staying in a 2 bedroom condo unit with a full kitchen, as cooking / barbequing / or just eating snacks from the fridge / kitchen will help keep the costs down.

Cayman has many quality condo resorts to choose from.