Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Family orientated fully inclusive resort (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/family-orientated-fully-inclusive-resort-154821/)

lisa Jan 9th, 2003 02:33 PM

Family orientated fully inclusive resort

Hi,<BR><BR>We're thinking of doing a twin centre holiday to Orlando/Jamaica. I have a couple of questions on the Jamaica side...<BR><BR>We have 3 young children aged 3, 4 &amp; 6 and our priorities are:-<BR><BR>1) nice safe beach<BR>2) rooms able to sleep 5<BR>3) good choice &amp; quality of food<BR>4) children's swimming pool<BR>4) good kids club from the age of 3 (Mum &amp; Dad would like to have the odd meal in peace without the kids! <BR><BR>The travel agent has recommended a couple of resorts namely the Holiday Inn Sunspree, Starfish Trelawny &amp; Royal Decameron. Does anyone have any recommendations??<BR><BR>Many thanks<BR><BR>Lisa

whit Jan 9th, 2003 04:43 PM

you have little kids ... do yourself a favor they won't be able to tell the difference in Negril or Datona. If you are considering all inclusive stuff what's the point? After all the point would be a cultural experience that is extremely negated w/ the &quot;resort thing&quot;<BR><BR>save your money..&amp; take your honey (not the little kids)Ive done it.

Jim Jan 9th, 2003 05:46 PM

Sandals Beaches or Riu Tropical in Negril.

lisa Jan 9th, 2003 10:55 PM

Would love to just take my honey but unfortunately we don't have anyone who'll look after the children. The other point of a fully inclusive resort with kids clubs was that we would be able to just have a couple of hours per day without the kids!!!! I'm from the UK so don't know anything about US beach resorts so if you can pass on any info about good US beach resorts which include kids clubs (again must take from age 3) which operate until early evening so we can have at least a couple of nice romantic meals on our own that would be great.<BR>Also the fully inclusive bit I thought would be good with regard to the kids because we end up spending a LOT of money on holiday on stuff like wasted ice-creams, half drunk cokes, half eaten burgers etc etc!! A typical meal on our last holiday in Florida (Nov 2002) was costing us at least $40 w/o drinks &amp; desserts so I thought fully inclusive would be a good way of budgeting for our final week.<BR><BR>What do you think??<BR><BR>Lisa

andrea Jan 10th, 2003 01:04 AM

Lisa ,<BR><BR>I can appreciate your problem, as I have three kids as well. Mine are older, so I don't need the kids club thing as much (12, 8 and 8). The biggest problem is rooms for 5 at an AI. I only found them at Club St lucia (also heard STX in St Croix has rooms big enough). I wasn't interested in Jamaica due to my love for exploring, and the crimerate there. We are doing Feb half term at Jolly Harbour Villas, Antigua. They have two bed two bath villas there that sleep up to 6, and a kids club open daily. It's not AI, though. There is a sister resort next door that does, but no rooms that large. You could get one of their supersaver rooms connecting to a larger one.<BR><BR>Have you looked into a cruise? My kids loved that, and they are AI for food, with kids clubs open from 8am til 10 pm on RCI. They have some cabins for five (although there are more on lines like Carnival) or you can sometimes fit 4 plus a cot in a larger room.<BR><BR>Andrea

Paul Jan 10th, 2003 01:48 AM

Just returned from our 3rd trip to <BR>FDR Runaway Bay in Jamaica. A super albeit small family resort. Large, clean accomodations. Super friendly staff. Food is very good. Every family is given a &quot;nanny&quot; for the length of the visit. <BR><BR>Is it the most fancy AI on Jamaica.....no. However you'll be hard pressed to find a better all-around property. 2 pools, (one with a waterslide) plus a small kids pool. An adult restaurant. Very safe &quot;beach/bay&quot; for kids. A long public beach to walk next door. We've done Caneel Bay, Four Seasons,Nevis. Ritz Montego Bay and several others. We find ourselves just as happy for A LOT less $$ at FDR Runaway Bay. Good luck!

lisa Jan 10th, 2003 04:50 AM

Hi<BR><BR>Thanks so far for your replies.<BR><BR>Can I just add that I've had a brilliant quote from our Travel Agent (don't know how it compares to US prices) but here it is.....<BR><BR>Flights from London to Florida 2 ad/3ch, 1 week in a 3 bed villa inc 7 str minivan fully inclusive insurance <BR><BR>Fly to Jamaica for a further week staying fully inclusive at the Holiday Inn Sunspree. Return flights home. All direct flights by the way.<BR>Total for a family of 5 &pound;3400 ($5304)<BR>If we wanted to stay longer i.e. 11 nights Florida/9 nights Jamaica it would only be a further &pound;900 ($1404)<BR>I thought that was a pretty good deal and I don't think I'm going to match it even if I try to DIY which is why I was really enquiring about those two resorts.<BR><BR>Paul - I've had a look at FDR and the prices quoted are $2100 each adult, can't find the kid prices but even so based on those prices it's already going to be $4200 just for me and hubby excluding all flights (unfortunately <BR>8-(. <BR><BR>What do you think, do you reckon I'll be able to match the price myself?? We can go above it but if I'm just getting a like for like resort it's not going to be worth it.<BR><BR>Many thanks<BR><BR>Lisa

beaches Jan 10th, 2003 06:14 AM

Check out one of the Beaches resorts in Jamaica. A co-worker of mine just returned from Beaches Negril with his wife and 4 children (ages 4-14) and they had a great time. They had nothing negative to say about it.

Paul Jan 10th, 2003 06:34 AM

Lisa;<BR><BR>Call FDR reservations and speak with reservations directly. <BR>Phone... (876) 973-4882. Ask them what their best deal going is for your time period. You might be surprised as to what they offer you. I know for a fact that their business is WAY down this spring. (everyone is) Also try to get an upgrade in your villa size as well.<BR>Good luck!<BR>

lisa Jan 10th, 2003 07:10 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>I've been on the Beaches (uk office) and for Beaches Negril for 1 week including airfaires it was coming out at just over &pound;5300 ($8200!). I can't really justify spending &pound;5000 for one weeks holiday. The rates are coming out cheaper via the us Beaches.com website but I'm not sure whether or not I'll be allowed to book or if they'll just redirect me to beaches.co.uk??<BR><BR>I'll also give FDR a call tonight. Fingers crossed!!<BR><BR>Andrea- I've always wanted to go on a cruise infact we were going to also price up a Disney cruise but I suppose they're mega bucks?! Do you think the kids would enjoy the cruise being so small???<BR><BR>Thanks again for all your advice so far - I'll give you an update when I've done my ringing around this eve.<BR><BR><BR>Lisa

Cathrine S. Jan 10th, 2003 08:01 AM

Lisa;<BR><BR>Call FDR during daytime business hrs and ask for Ms. Williams. (head reservationist) She's a pearl.<BR><BR>What month by the way?<BR><BR>Katy

Traveler Jan 10th, 2003 08:38 AM

We have been to Franklin D Resort in Runaway Bay Jamaica 3 times. The kids love it. We always get a 2 bedroom, full kitchen with large fridge that they stock with sodas, juice and cheese. They also provied tea and crackers. Each room gets their own &quot;girl Friday&quot; to watch the kids, cleand, stock the fridge, take the kids to the crafts and group things,watch them by the pool, fetch them burgers, anything! Back to the room, full kitchen, dinning area with living room and 1/2 bath downstairs, upstairs are two full bedrooms, one King, one with two twins and we get a rollaway. Each upstairs room has it's own full bathroom.<BR>The staff at this resort is wonderful! Every looks out for all the kids, it's so small everybody knows each other by the end of the week. Lots of family and kids activies. The food is great, from burgers and jerk chicken and fries at the beach grill to adult only dinner. The evening entertainment is geared to family, a couple evenings a week the kids work on skits and songs for part of the evening fun. The beach is small but that is what is good for small children. Sailing, kayaks, snorkel and a trip to Dunn's river is included. They have a drink of the day for kids as well as adults, that is always a fun treat for mine. Don't be put off by the small beach, they also just added a water slide, we haven't seen that yet. This is a great family resort.

andrea Jan 10th, 2003 09:18 AM

Lisa,<BR><BR>your kids would love a cruise! Mine say it beats disney anyday! Disney Cruise lines can be pricy, RCI and Carnival more reasonable. I never use a UK agent for cruises, but an American Cruise only one.<BR><BR>The deal you got sounds good to me, but I don't know about that resort (what weeks are you going?) Look on Where to stay.com for warts and all reviews if nobody here has been there-although Americans are much more critical of food at AI's than the english.<BR><BR>Andrea<BR><BR>

Debbie Jan 10th, 2003 09:25 AM

Hi Lisa - have you looked into Cuba. Check www.solmelia.com for the resorts available there. Have personally stayed at the Paradisus in Holguin and the kids club had their own little building and really kept them entertained. Good beach, the regular rooms have 2 double beds and a little living area with a sofa, good food, I believe it had a kids' pool.<BR>Most recently we were at the Melia Cayo Guillermo - lots of Brits at this resort so it should be well known by your t.a. <BR>Definitely had a pool area for the kids but the beach is so nice and shallow you will be there all the time. <BR>Also - have you looked at the Mayan Riveria? Not sure on how expensive that area would be but the Iberostar Paraiso and the Riu Yucatan would probably also meet your needs.

Paul Jan 10th, 2003 10:34 AM

&quot;Traveler&quot;.........You said it all so perfectly! FDR is exactly that. No more and no less!

lisa Jan 10th, 2003 02:05 PM

Just had an email off FDR, I'd forgotten I'd already emailed asking for a quote the other day - doh!!<BR><BR>Anyhow they've said that it'd be $200/day per adult for a 1 bed suite for 14th June for 1 week.<BR><BR>How does that sound??<BR><BR>Now need to check out airfares....<BR><BR><BR>Lisa

lisa Jan 10th, 2003 02:10 PM

ooh I've just noticed the FDR rate on Expedia for $315 per room. The thing is how would I book it on Expedia because if I put in 2 ad/3 children it says that we exceed max occupancy??? Or are we paying extra for one of the children???<BR><BR>Lisa

Paul Jan 11th, 2003 05:52 AM

$200 per day per adult.(no charge for kids and nanny included.) If this includes all tax and transfers to and from Montego Bay.....it sounds like a very fair and good deal. I'd still try and get an upgrade to a 2 bdrm suite though. Ask for a lower lever room in block#8. The waves will lull you to sleep at night. Good luck!

St John Jan 11th, 2003 06:52 AM

Have you looked into St. John, USVI. It is so much nicer, clean and safer. The Westing resort has lots of packages. Also, consider renting a villa which is private, most have pools, I would highly recommend it for a family. The beaches are numerous and quite beautiful. The town of Cruz bay is also lovely with great restaurants and some beautiful shops.<BR><BR>You can also go on many excursions to the BVI's which are very close to St. John or hop a ferry and go over to St. Thomas. Preferrably, the BVI's is a nicer trip. <BR><BR>Once you see St. John, you won't want to leave the island. It is so much prettier and safer than Jamaica.<BR><BR>

whit Jan 11th, 2003 07:57 AM

we rented a home in Port Antonia<BR>they had staff available,cooking,cleaning etc<BR>had a pool beautiful view staff took care of kids.<BR>consider home rental?<BR>Charleston is very nice in June.Several places Seabrook have inexpesive home/villa rentals. Golf tennis,horse rental.<BR>Charleston is a beautiful place to visit lots of low country atmosphere.<BR>It's not Jamica though both have pluses and negatives.