Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Family lodging in Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/family-lodging-in-bermuda-594721/)

nina Feb 27th, 2006 08:31 AM

Family lodging in Bermuda

We're thinking of going to Bermuda with our 2 kids, but I've been lodging is super expensive, from $500 with no meals to $700 and up with meals PER DAY. I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Can anyone recommend any reasonable family accomodations in Bermuda, or am I dreaming?

Laby Feb 27th, 2006 08:49 AM

Here are two places that you might consider. Munro Beach Cottages (http://www.munrobeach.com/) and the Granaway (http://www.granaway.com/home.html). Family friendly, clean and much more affordable than the places you've been researching. Also, if you are open to traveling during Bermuda's cooler "low" season (Nov. 1 to Apr. 1), you'll find less expensive rates.

JosephineD Feb 27th, 2006 10:35 AM

Check out www.bermudarentals.com for apartments and cottages. If you don't mind going self-catering, this could be a good option. I have used them twice and been very satisfied with the service and accommodation.

girlonthego Feb 27th, 2006 10:51 AM

I have looked at the Wyndam in Bermuda and they have rooms in July for 270 per night without food. The Reefs, which is my favorite is about 500 and includes breakfast and dinner daily.
I don't know how old your children are. The Wyndam will have more kid stuff, but we took our kids to the Reefs when they were younger (4or 5 years old). As long as your kids can sit nicely at dinner, than it would be fine. We also had the only children outside of their cousins at the resort. Bermuda is lovely.

gail Feb 27th, 2006 01:19 PM

Don't know from where you are traveling, but when we researched air and hotel Boston-Bermuda 2 summers ago (parents and 2 teens), we found it was actually cheaper to take NCL cruise from Boston than to budget air, hotel, food in Bermuda.

nina Feb 28th, 2006 09:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. Munro cottages actually charges more for an extra child in the room than for an adult (gee, ya think they're trying to discourage kids?), The Reefs rooms only hold three, so we would need 2 rooms or a cottage, bringing the rate to over $1,000 a night, the Wyndham is an option at $270 a night plus extra charges for kids (I guess it costs $50 a day to change that extra bed?) and I would like a kitchen or meal plan, bermudarentals.com is a great site, but anything that holds 4 is pretty much booked for the summer. DH hates cruising and would rather spend his time in Bermuda than at sea.

I'll try the Granaway, thank you all for your help, unfortunately the prospects aren't very encouraging. I just wanted to make sure I explored all the options before I threw in the towel on the plan.

Laby Feb 28th, 2006 10:03 AM

The Munro Cottages will charge you under $400 for a party of four in the summer so it is significantly cheaper than the $500 a night you had mentioned, although admittedly still quite expensive.

Given your budget limit and the time of year you desire to travel, it may make sense to consider the Caribbean, rather than Bermuda. As you likely know, the summer is high season in Bermuda but low season in the Caribbean. Is there a particular reason you wish to go to Bermuda, as compared to, say, the Turks & Caicos (a lovely island chain with excellent beaches, good snorkeling, and a number of fine hotels and restaurants)? If you set your sights on the Caribbean, I'm sure that the readers here can give you numerous moderate-priced family-friendly options for summer travel.

JosephineD Feb 28th, 2006 10:15 AM

Similar to bermudarentals is bermudagetaway.com. I have no personal experience but I have seen them recommended in this forum a few times before. They may have more availability.

girlonthego Feb 28th, 2006 11:58 AM

How old are your kids?
We had two kids in our room in Bermudat at the Reefs. Last time we were there, I think the kids were around 8-10 years old at the time. We went to the Reefs twice with the kids and the first time they were young 4-5 years old. Did you try calling them directly? My brother did get a cottage when he had three kids. I thought that was an outrageous price>I think it was around 850 a night.
I hope you can find accomodations at a reasonable price.

nina Mar 1st, 2006 07:49 AM

Laby, I want to go to Bermuda as it's my husbands favorite, i've been 5 times already, albeit without our children and it's considerably less expensive as just a couol., The first time we went was on our honeymoon and we stayed at Castle Hill, since then we've stayed at Elbow Beach, Southhampton Princess and I have cruised there with my kids. Previously I've found some great deals. We prefer Bermuda over the caribbean, and the flights to Bermuda are very reasonable.

I'm looking into renting a place or possibly Surfside, Salt Kettle, Greenbank. I haven't heard from Granaway regarding whether the cottage suits four.

My sons are teenagers girlonthego, and I am going to try calling the Reefs directly. We've eaten at Coconuts and I loved the Reefs.

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, I was hoping to do a 5 night vacation for under $4,000.

nina Mar 1st, 2006 07:50 AM

Girlonthego,
What was the bedding set-up with your kids at the Reefs?

girlonthego Mar 1st, 2006 08:11 AM

Well, I didn't realize your sons were teens. That may be why they put you in a cottage. We had a king size bed, open up coach and I think a rollaway too in the room. My kids are now 12-13 and we would be able to fit in the same room again. Our room was on the second floor above the pool area. It was high and had a great view. It was also a cheaper room because it was over the pool area. The pool closes at ten I think, so it was never noisy. Breakfast and dinner and afternoon tea were included in the room cost. We paid an extra fee for the kids. Dinner in the dining room was the best food, much better than coconuts. I would call the hotel direct. Maybe you can work something out with them. By the way, there aren't too many kids at the resort. Both times we took the kids there, we had kids and my brother had kids. That was it. My kids usually entertain each other on vacation anyway. Good luck. Bermuda is beautiful. Have you checked out Pompano Beach club? I sent away for a brochure from there. Maybe they have a better bedding situation.
SouthHampton Princess and Wyndam would offer the two double bed option, but I take it the room rates are high without food?

Laby Mar 1st, 2006 08:14 AM

We tried renting at the Salt Kettle a while back and was told by the owner that they were all booked up for the next TWO YEARS (we should all be so fortunate in our businesses). But good luck and I can certainly understand your reasons for preferring Bermuda for this trip.

sp Mar 1st, 2006 03:52 PM

Have you considered staying at Grotto Bay? Rooms (no meals) start at $300 a night - but a huge plus is that the rooms have small fridges for snacks - there is a small grocery store a 10 minute walk away - also - a pub is just a few minutes up the road - fun place and not pricey. The resort would be a great spot for the kids - interesting caves on the grounds and they offer watersports as well so they won't be bored. Bus stops are right out front as well - very easy to get around.

cmcfong Mar 1st, 2006 05:25 PM

You might check Surfside and Marley Beach (Marley gets mixed reports on trip advisor, but the location is fabulous. I have stayed there several times but not for the past three or four years. I did inspect the property on my last visit,while it shows wear and the furnishings are spartan the room I saw was clean). It is certainly a good deal cheaper than the beautiful Reefs or Elbow. Other relatively "budget" accomodations are the Grape Bay Cottages or Rosemont.

nina Mar 2nd, 2006 09:48 AM

Hi everybody, I'm making some progress, I've narrowed it down to Astwood Cove, Greenbank cottages, Clearview Suites or Granaway.

Salt Kettle didn't have the 2 bedroom available until August 19th, and we'll be in the outerbanks then.

Girlonthego, the boys could fit on a pull-out couch plus a rollaway, they're 13 and 16 but my 13 year old is skinny as a rail, 90 pounds, so the rollaway is not a problem. I still haven't called them.

I would LOVE to stay at Pompano Beach, it's $680/night plus tax, but I'm starting to think I'd rather stay someplace nicer for fewer days.

When we stayed at Elbow Beach, which was gorgeous, we never even used their beach, we went to Jobsons, Arches or Horshoe anyway.

nina Mar 2nd, 2006 11:11 AM

Astwood Cove no longer does vacation rentals, only long term. Just thought I'd update everyone.

It's either Clearview Suites (on the North shore)which is a 1 bedroom suite with pull-out sofe AND daybed in living room for $220, or Greenbank, which has a 2 bedroom cottage for $260/night, in Salt Kettle. Both have kitchens. Has anyone stayed at either of these 3 properties?

cmcfong Mar 2nd, 2006 11:19 AM

My cousin and her DH stayed at Clearview. They said the room was very clean and nice. The restaurant was at the time of their visit very good.
I have been considering Greenbank for a stay because their prices are quite reasonable and the location is good. Very convenient to the ferry, which is my preferred method of public transportation (though BDA has an excellent bus system which is very well run). Please post a trip report on your return.

nina Mar 4th, 2006 07:45 AM

Oh well, I just found 2 other options to add confusion to the mix. I'm now also considering Clairfont apartments and Granaway.

Granaway looks the nicest, but Clairfont has a great location across from Warwick Long Bay and 3 minutes from the bus stop.

Decisions, decisions. We should have it nailed down by the end of the weekend!

nina Mar 5th, 2006 08:35 AM

Cmc,
Can you ask your cousin what she thought of the Clearview's location? I'm not that familiar with that area of Bermuda and am afraid it may be more of a business district and not scenic? I could be entirely wrong, but I wonder why it's the only lodging in that area?

Thank you!