Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Fairmont Hamilton - help with room decision
Notices

Fairmont Hamilton - help with room decision

May 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Fairmont Hamilton - help with room decision

hi, can you tell me is it better to stay in the main building or in the "Bermudian House"
Is the breakfast worth having it included? I chose this one as opposed to the one on the beach because I want to be able to walk into town. If we take the ferry once a day -that will be fine - any help would be appreciated. Also is there anything out of the way that only someone =who has been there would know to do?

Thanks!!!
May 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM

As far as which building, where would you be more comfortable - in the center of the activity with all the amenities an elevator ride away? I've been in rooms in both buildings, no big difference except the walking distance and the view.
Breakfast - are you a breakfast person or not? If you'd go order a full breakfast every morning anyway, get the breakfast. If you start your day with coffee (in your room) and a pastry (purchased at the excellent grocery next door) and you'd rather save the money, then do it that way. I've been to the breakfast buffet several times - it's yummy, but I personally don't need that big a breakfast every day.
I agree with your choice of location if town is your priority. I don't know how frequently the hotel ferry runs, but if you're using it to visit the beach club, it's going to involve the ferry across the harbor, a trolley shuttle ride up over the hill to the beach club and then back - public transport from town to the beach club might wind up being a lot more convenient. It's not expensive either.
As far as the 'out of the way' experience -give me a little more of an idea what you're looking for - shopping? nightlife?hikes? parks? beaches?
May 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Oh thank you! We did figure that we would rather be in town and probably only go to the beach for a while each day. Any not over the top restaurants - my husband will not mind wearing a jacket but the tie will put him over the edge - I guess what i mean is we know about the caves but any other natural things that are worth the trip? Is the shopping at Dockside worth it? Is that a place where might find a good restaurant. We like to have wine with dinner but do not like to eat like 5 courses but would like to go somewhere nice!! It seems like we can take the bus/trolley to the caves and anywhere else we micht want to go. Thanks so much for the info on the hotel.
May 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM

There are only a handful of 'over the top' restaurants, he can get in almost anywhere with a pair of khakis and a collared shirt. What kind of food/atmosphere do you like?
I guess you mean Dockyard. I think it's worth a few hours -there are a few things you're not going to find anywhere else, the glass-blowing factory and the craft shop and art museum are nice. There are a few restaurants, but nothing fancy - more pub-style, and very casual. You can take the ferry from Hamilton straight to Dockyard.
Most of your restaurant options will be in Hamilton. My personal favorite is a small place called Mad Hatter's - have the concierge make reservations and sit outside if the weather is nice.
Other natural areas- the park reserve along the South Shore beaches are nice for a walk, and I love the moat around Fort Hamilton - it's like a walk through the jungle.

Search this Thread