Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Face it-Aruba kicks butt!!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/face-it-aruba-kicks-butt-244040/)

imabeliever Jul 29th, 2002 08:30 AM

Face it-Aruba kicks butt!!!!!

I am so tired of seeing Aruba getting dogged on this board. I have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and have never found anyplace I liked better. Yes, it is a desert island and it can be windy at times. But I have never had to worry about being robbed, accosted, or been unable to drink the water and eat the food. And no, I don't work for the tourism board or have any affiliations with Aruba. In fact, I live in northern Ohio. In my book, Aruba rocks!!!!!!

Toni Jul 29th, 2002 08:50 AM

If you like Aruba, that's wonderful. I'm happy for you. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to agree with you though. People are entitled to their own opinions and I am not an Aruba fan. If I wanted a beach lined with hotels I could go to Miami. I want to feel like I've left the mainland US when I go to the Caribbean and that is not at all Aruba. It is any beach town USA.<BR>But for those of you who like it, have fun!

Beachlover Jul 29th, 2002 09:02 AM

imabeliever-<BR><BR>Yeap, agree full heartedly!<BR><BR>I also LOVE Aruba!<BR><BR>There is nothing to complain about.<BR><BR>Question for you, have you gone to Grand Cayman? We are looking to experience a new island, since we have only gone to Aruba 4 times and Paradise island once. We definitely want to go back to Aruba, but would like to try Cayman first.<BR><BR>So....what is your opinion of Cayman?

Janice Jul 29th, 2002 10:27 AM

Another vote for Aruba. Gorgeous beaches, outstanding restaurants and no fear of leaving the hotel as is the case in many other destinations.

imabeliever Jul 29th, 2002 03:34 PM

Yes, Grand Cayman is also fabulous and a close second. 7 mile beach is gorgeous, and quite busy. I did feel that something about Aruba just seemed a bit friendlier. It is my home away from home. Also, the snorkeling in GC is definitely better, but other than 7 mile beach, some of the beaches are difficult to enjoy due to the rocks. I realize this is also true in Aruba, but it seemed more so in GC.

arubasucks Jul 29th, 2002 04:19 PM

To imabeliever<BR><BR>If you want people who are "delirious" to go to your happy island, go to the BB in visitaruba.com. They would welcome you with open arms. People on this bulletin board call it as we see it. If you are worried about being robbed, then why don't you just stay home and do us all a favor. Better yet, I'll send you to Disneyland and all you have to worry is being mugged by Mickey Mouse.

Chris Jul 29th, 2002 04:31 PM

That's great if you love Aruba but many don't and that's their opinion. <BR>Personally, I think it's an overgrown touristy island with mediocre beaches and less than mediocre hotels. <BR>I'm glad that so many people love Aruba because it leaves so many great places less congested.

Holly Jul 29th, 2002 04:40 PM

Where do I even begin. Aruba is totally a beginners Caribbean destination. Mass marketed to the American traveler uncomfortable with anything too "foreign". There is a huge comfort factor for those who want familiar hotel chains, familiar chain restaurants and very American choices on the menus.<BR>I'm not one to want my beaches lined with hotels. I prefer quiet beaches, small hotels and private villas. If I wanted what Aruba offers I could go to Miami.

imabeliever Jul 29th, 2002 05:38 PM

Hey! Last time I checked, this was a free country. I have the freedom to post my opinion, and I have been to all your "cultured" islands that boast true Caribbean flair. In fact, at one of them I was robbed at gunpoint, and another I had my purse and camera stolen. I have been travelling in the Carib. for 20+ years and I keep returning to Aruba. As for the other islands that have so much more "culture," I hope you will continue to stay there to keep the criminals occupied with good ole American targets! Maybe they'll continue to leave Aruba alone.

Chris Jul 29th, 2002 05:46 PM

I'm a Believer,<BR>I've never been burglarized or robbed at any of the islands I go to. Maybe you should research some of the destinations before you go. <BR>Please do us a huge favor and continue visiting Aruba so we can enjoy the true islands.<BR><BR>

arubasucks Jul 29th, 2002 06:07 PM

to imabeliever<BR><BR>My offer for Disneyland still stands.

truthful Jul 29th, 2002 06:31 PM

truth be known Aruba has its share of problems too. Remember the machete whelding gang who were robbing the tourists as they sat on the patios last year. Even the State Dept reports a rapid increase of crime and warns visitors of an increase of robbery, theft from hotel rooms, theft of rental cars and credit card fraud is on the rise. It is a major port in the trafficking of drugs. No place is eutopia and even in Aruba don't be unaware and stupid.

crimestopper Jul 29th, 2002 07:05 PM

Here is the report from the Aruba consular information sheet dated November of 2001.<BR><BR>There has been an increase in crime in Aruba. Although strolling downtown or in other tourist areas after dark used to be generally safe, Americans should note that there has been a sharp rise in armed robberies. Newspapers report these incidents as being mostly drug related. Americans should take normal precautionary measures and be aware of their surroundings at all times.<BR><BR>There have been incidents of theft from hotel rooms. Valuables left unattended on beaches, in cars and in hotel lobbies are easy targets for theft. Petty crime and credit card fraud continues to be a problem. Car theft, including that of rental vehicles for joy riding or stripping, does occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen. Please be sure that you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles and jet skis.<BR><BR>The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

truthful Jul 29th, 2002 08:09 PM

interesting report on the Cayman Islands also <BR>one american citizen per month drowns or suffers cardiac arrest while snorkling or scuba diving in the Cayman Islands. <BR>Violent crime is rare but petty thefts, pickpocketing and purse snatchings occur. Incidents of sexual assault reportedly involving the use of "date rape" drugs.

Don Jul 30th, 2002 09:51 PM

Just by the way you phrased your headline -- "Aruba kicks butt" -- tells me that YOU are the type of low class person that I would NOT want to encounter while anyplace on vacation!

frank Jul 31st, 2002 01:55 AM

imabeliever<BR>If you love Aruba that's great- everyone has different ideas has to what makes a perfect holiday. I'm not knocking your original post but on the subject of crime what has people drowning in the Cayman Islands have to do with it? Did someone throw them in; did someone hold their heads under the water?

anon Jul 31st, 2002 06:05 AM

Good one Frank, LOL!

jane Jul 31st, 2002 08:48 AM

To all of you (including the believer guy):<BR>How pathetic...<BR>You must all be very unhappy people!<BR><BR>How much longer will you be picking at each other over an OPINION..do you really think all these stupid remarks will ever come to something useful?<BR><BR>what is it with people being tolerant about other's opinions? <BR><BR>I'm guessing by your comments that all of you are americans..of course!! who else could be so full of themselves and believe THEY have the ultimate opinion on EVERYTHING !!<BR><BR>Grow up already !!<BR><BR>Jane.<BR>

anon Jul 31st, 2002 08:51 AM

Jane: You're the one that needs to grow up. To stereotype all Americans as unhappy know-it-alls is very juvenile and narrow minded. Get real.

Lisa S. Jul 31st, 2002 08:53 AM

I have been to both Aruba and Grand Cayman!! Grand Cayman is by far alot nicer than Aruba. I didn't care for the desert atmospere, stray dogs and cats and the beaches didn't come close to 7 mile beach!! Just my opinion.