Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Exumas - east or west side have calmer waters? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/exumas-east-or-west-side-have-calmer-waters-826580/)

loves2sing Feb 15th, 2010 12:26 AM

Exumas - east or west side have calmer waters?

My husband and I (late 40's) are trying to determine where exactly IWe want to stay on the Exumas. It's hard to determine which side of the islands some of the rentals are on, and which side might have calmer. Or maybe they're calm on both sides? We'll likely go in early August so I don't know if that will make a difference either. I am in southern California and I don't care for waves. I don't want a hotel resort type place, but rather an inexpensive waterfront cottage or private rental with a kitchen, 1 or 2 bedrooms (in case our friends go), grocery market nearby, and with a great little beach bar to hang out at. We would likely prefer to rent scooters over cars. Also, I have read that boats are easily rented but are there seadoos as well? Any suggestions or insite would be appreciated.

Callaloo Feb 15th, 2010 04:12 AM

At least in the winter, the west side of the Exumas (the Exuma Bank) is far calmer than the east side (Exuma Sound). In winter conditions, especially when a cold front turns the prevailing winds from easterly to westerly, even the Exuma Bank can get a little choppy, but it's nothing compared to the seas on the east side.

My only experience with the Exumas so far has been a stay at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club this past November. You can check out my trip report here: http://islandtime.homestead.com/ExumaAndros09.html. This may or may not meet your wishes (it certainly met mine, but I'm an Out Island afficionado and will tolerate a good bit of inconvenience to get my fix). I'll be doing more Exumas fact-finding later this winter, from Georgetown to Warderick Wells....

loves2sing Feb 15th, 2010 08:27 AM

Thanks Callaloo, that helps a lot! Staniel Cay Yacht Club actually sounds like a perfect situation for us other than their cottages don't have kitchens. I know they have the all-inclusive deal with meals included but my husband and I rarely eat three meals a day on vacation so we're hesitant to go this route. We like the idea of eating out a few times during the week, but would prefer to cook some lighter meals ourselves as well. I'm looking forward to reading your trip report!

loves2sing Feb 15th, 2010 08:57 AM

Callaloo, it appears I've already read your trip report a few days ago. I must have gotten it from another post. It's what made me decide on the Exumas as opposed to some other Caribbean destination! Beautiful!

BeachGirl247 Feb 15th, 2010 11:41 AM

We visited Great Exuma last summer and stayed on Stocking Island. The waters between this small island and the main island of GE were calm and perfect for swimming and small boats. There are many places to stay with kitchenettes or vacation homes with full kitchens. VRBO.com has listings for vacation rentals.

TripAdvisor has many listings for lodgings and up-to-date reviews. We stayed at St. Francis Resort and loved it's location (close to the Chat-n-Chill - THE best beach spot).
www.chatnchill.com
We strolled for an hour on the beach behind us and never saw another soul. Lots of shells and beautiful water. However, it did not have a kitchen, only a fridge and coffee maker.

Enjoy planning and your trip. The secluded beaches and stunning scenery didn't disappoint.

ishkribbl Feb 16th, 2010 04:48 AM

You might want to look at this website: www.thecaysbahamas.com I have not stayed there but am looking at it for a future trip. There are some recent reviews on TA from people who have stayed there recently. It seems to have the house you might like, a little bar,a pool, good proximity to places you might (drive) to eat or shop for groceries as I understand it. There is not much beach there- small but calm- but if you are planning to rent a car and sightsee for a couple of days at least then you will certainly see all the beautiful beaches. It is on the opposite side of the island from where you could rent a boat but the rental company does not let you keep them at many places so you could rent one for the day and return it for a nice day adventure (or rent it for more than one day but keep it at their dock in town).
Be sure you notice on the rate sheet of the houses at the Cays that it is priced per person occupying the home but is still a good buy when you compare it to other rentals in the area.

loves2sing Feb 16th, 2010 10:11 AM

Thanks ishkribbl, I will check that place out!