Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Experience Negril but not all-inclusive (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/experience-negril-but-not-all-inclusive-209746/)

Krystal Apr 30th, 2002 01:52 AM

Experience Negril but not all-inclusive

Sweetie and I would like to visit Negril, we are looking for luxury accomodations, good night life (we are big fans of Vegas) nice beach and of course child-free. We were considering Sandals or Superclubs but we really don't want to go AI. We want to experience the restaurants on the island. Can anyone reccommend a very nice hotel other than the couples resorts? Thank you for your time.

Penney Apr 30th, 2002 03:18 PM

The Caves is considered one of the better non-all-inclusives in the area. But check out: www.negril.com Tons of experts there on the area!

Anita Apr 30th, 2002 04:51 PM

Hi Krystal. I wonderful pick would be the Charela Inn. My husband (then boyfriend) stayed for a week a few years back. We have great memories of sipping Red Stipes and Badanna Naquiris :-) on our porch overlooking the beach when the afternooon rains would descend. I wouldn't call it luxurious (well, the bathrooms do have bidets), but it is a very special place. And you certainly don't get that packaged or canned feel you get at some of the AI resorts. Charela has nice accomodations, right on the beautiful beach (but be prepared for the vendor hassle which you won't get on the AI "compounds"). The owners are very caring people, and the restaurant there does a great dinner complete with extensive wine list. Their escargots dish was superb. They have a pretty little pool, and everything is very clean. The folks there truly bend over backwards to help you have a nice vacation. Just to put it in perspective, we have routinely stayed at high-end places like Cap Juluca (to die for), but we still enjoyed our stay there. And when in Negril, make sure you check out this tiny little whole in the wall eatery called Sweet Spice. Lot of locals in there, and the lobster curry is yummy.

Andrea May 1st, 2002 10:01 AM

I have to second the previous posters' suggestion on Charela Inn. It's a great choice! We were there in 1998. Just get one of the Ocean View Deluxe Rooms.<BR><BR>The restaurant and bar is right by the beach!

rebecca May 3rd, 2002 10:06 AM

I just returned from Charela Inn about 2 weeks ago. Nice place, on the beach but I think I prefer the cliffs.<BR>Luxury? Charela is very nice and probably luxury by Negril standards. <BR>Clean nice rooms, good food and nice staff. If you don't want to spend money on Taxis I would stay on the beach instead of the cliffs (Although the cliffs are my favorite).<BR>For true luxury like that in the states I think Riu is the best option.<BR>If you are ok with beatiful views and incredible rooms I would say Rockhouse or Tensing Pen. Kuyaba is nice, cute and funky but in between 2 places that have frenquent live music late into the night. Fine if you're night owls that like reggae music! <BR>

tothetop May 9th, 2002 05:29 PM

topping