Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Excursions from Riu Tropical Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/excursions-from-riu-tropical-bay-496422/)

Minya Jan 18th, 2005 12:13 PM

Excursions from Riu Tropical Bay

Hi,
My husband and I will be vacationing at the Riu in a few months. We were in Negril a few years ago, and travelled to Mayfield Falls, as well as to Rick's Cafe to watch the sunset.

I am wondering what other excursions are available from the hotel. We both enjoy snorkelling, and would like to take an snorkelling tour if possible.

I have heard that Rick's Cafe is not open due to the hurricane. Is there another place that we could go to have a few drinks and watch the sunset? Hopefully a place similar to Rick's Cafe. Any comments on Margaritaville?

We would appreciate any help/comments/reviews.

Thank you

liza Jan 18th, 2005 01:11 PM

Rick's is supposed to reopen in March. However, 3 Dives is a great place to watch sunset but much more laid back than Rick's, and you might not like that (picnic tables, no tokens for drinks, much cheaper...but nice natual setting that I prefer, and no crowds). LTU Pub is a more upscale dinner/sunset spot and not far from Rick's. All the west end bars share the same sunset view :)

Margaritaville is OK, food not great, drinks overpriced, but they do have water trampolines taht are fun for kids. You don't have to eat/drink there to use them though.

Plenty of snorkeling available.

Other tours within 2 hours: YS Falls, Black River, Roaring River/Blue Hole.

benj Jan 19th, 2005 06:08 AM

I agree with 3 Dives as a laid back place to watch the sun go down. If you go to www.negril.com they usually have a link to the webcast from 3 Dives. It is not nearly as commercial as Rick's. No cliff divers or busloads of tourists but the grilled lobster is WONDERFUL & inexpensive. I think Pirate's Cave took over for Rick's for now. You might like that best.

We used Soloman Kerr with Talk of the Town Tours when we were in Negril. His prices were better than the ones from the resort & he will do a custom tour based on your interests. He does the traditional tours but we got to see much more of the true Negril with him.

The hotel should offer snorkeling but there are glass bottom boats everywhere that are willing to take you for a tour. The negril.com message board usually has good advice on who to use.

Minya Jan 19th, 2005 08:58 AM

Hello again,

Is there a website that has information regarding Pirate's Cave (photos/menus/news)? I have found a website for Margaritaville and 3 Dives, but nothing on Pirates Cave's.

Thanks again for all of your help.

liza Jan 19th, 2005 09:04 AM

I don't think Pirate's Cave has a web site. It's a restaurant and bar adjacent to Rockhouse (which is also a nice place to watch the sunset, come to think of it, though not crazy, more sedate).

It happens to be on a very nice calm cove (good for snrokeling) and so is popular with the catamaran all-you-can-drink boats at sunset, as Rick's was.

Xtabi is another nice option, next door to 3 Dives.

Minya Jan 19th, 2005 12:14 PM

liza and benj,

Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate it.

cartera Jan 19th, 2005 01:48 PM

Margaritaville didn't impress me - too big with no real local flavor. I don't think it merits a special trip. But you may want to get dropped off along Negril Beach close to Margaritaville and walk towards Negril and check out the interesting little bars along the way. I like the Boat Bar, the bar at Rondel Village, Alfred's.

benj Jan 19th, 2005 04:09 PM

Found their website via www.negril.com.
It's http://www.piratescavenegril.com/

I have a couple of pictures that they should add to their "gallery". They show the steps down into the cave from above. They're right where a huge tree grows so you see the roots exposed as you go down.

Have a great time & take lots of pictures.

Minya Jan 21st, 2005 07:29 AM

Hi again,

Thanks to cartera for your personal comments on Margaritaville, and beji for locating the website for Pirate's Cave. Both comments were very helpful.

And now I'm hoping that you can continue to help. Although we have stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay before, we had never ventured out to walk along Seven Mile Beach. This time, however, we would like to see the beach. I know that we can not walk directly from the RIU to the beach. Where can we access the beginning of the beach from the road? Is there public access near any of the hotels, or do we need to enter through a bar/restaurant like Margaritaville?

Again, your help is appreciated. Thank you.

liza Jan 21st, 2005 08:23 AM

There are several access points (theonly reason you can't walk from Riu is that there's a rocky point in between it and the beach that is private nad belongs to Point Village).

You can enter at Cosmo's restaurant, that's aboutthe furthest north point I can think of, but then you will have to wade along in the water a little and there isn't too much to see up there anyway. I'd enter at/near Margaritaville as you can walk south from there easily. There is no charge to get onto the beach.

You will be welcome to hang out at all bars, restaurants and many (not all) hotels. If you want to hang out and use a lounge chair or have security watch your stuff while you swim it's a good idea to tip and buy a beer or something.

Otherwise, enjoy! I find a smile and a little hand wave "no" works well with people calling out to me from craft tables if I am not shopping (but there is lots to buy - sarongs, carvings, t-shirts, beaded jewelry, etc - and probably cheaper than on the Riu property). If it gets annoying, just stop making eye contact when people call out to you, and walk along the waterline, there are fewer vendors there.

I'd end the walk around Kuyaba. They have a lovely bar with hanging hammock chairs that are a lot of fun, it's a nice place to cool off and have a drink before heading back. You can stop anywhere along the way for snack and drinks, Alfred's is nice, the Boat Bar, Irie Village's beach bar, Bourbon beach for jerk, Jamaica Tamboo has a nice 2 story bar that I think you can still sit upstairs at (nice view of people walking by).

You can do all kinds of watersports along the beach too, jetski, glass bottom boat, banana boat, sail on a small catamaran, rent a kayak, etc.

Minya Jan 21st, 2005 11:13 AM

liza,

Thank you for your help and recommendations.