Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Excursions for St. Lucia/St. Kitts/St. Maarten/Barbados & St. John

Oct 15th, 1998, 02:22 AM
Sue

My husband and I are going to these islands on a cruise the end of January - BUT we want to find out about any special day activities to do on our own. Don't really enjoy the size of excursions offered by the ship and want to "discover" the real beauty of these islands. Love to explore and Snorkel. Any shared experiences would be greatly appreciated. Sue

Nov 5th, 1998, 08:16 AM
Shelly

Hi,
I saw your message and thought I might give you some suggestions. St. Lucia has a drive up volcano that is worth seeing and also a beautiful botanical garden with waterfalls. Marigot Bay is beautiful with many sailboats docked here. JJ's was a great little place to eat near there.
St. Maarten is very nice and if you like to snorkel, I would suggest Dawn Beach. You would need a car to get there. The shopping here is geat for nice jewelry.
We just returned from Barbados. We stayed at Crane Beach which is situated on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The body surfing is great because the waves are big. If you want to explore, rent a car and head for the Wildlife Reserve. They feed the animals around 4:15 and they all show up! Crane Beach and Bottom Bay are the most secluded beaches. We dove there, but I can't suggest any snorkeling. Stay away from Carlyle Bay. The visibility was very poor.
Those are the only places on your list that I've been. Hope it helps.

Nov 5th, 1998, 05:17 PM
leslie

Was in St. Lucia in September... suggest heading to the most beautiful part of St. Lucia... the village of Soufriere. This is where the Piton mountains are and they are quite impressive amongst the greenery and towering palm trees, etc.
We took a day sail from Castries (where you cruise boat will be docking) and travelled on a party boat for 1 1/2 hrs towards Soufriere (scenery is gorgeous and socializing is fun).Once at Soufriere, you take tour of Drive in Volcano, then to Botanical Gardens and Diamond Waterfall and then to The Still (a local restaurant on side of big hill) for lunch...on the way back, the boat takes a quick tour of Marigot Bay and then stops at Anse Cochon beach for an amazing snorkel or swim. We really enjoyed this sail, as it introduced us to everything we wanted to see at St. Lucia during a limited time. We left around 9am and were back by 4:30pm. A great way to see a great deal of the island and get a true taste of some of the highlights of St. Lucia.
If this doesn't interest you check out the following (all a way's away from Castries-not much of real interest close to Castries except maybe Pidgeon Point):
1) Marigot Bay -very picturesque and try Dr. Doolittle's for lunch -MArigot Bay is where Dr. Doolittle movie (old one) was filmed.

2) Go check out Anse Chastanet resort and take a snorkel right off their famous beach, known for the best snorkeling in St. Lucia. It is a real tropical romantic spot.

3) Supper at Ladera Resort in Soufriere, known for terrific food. This resort is quite nice as well, and is situated in among the Piton mountains =where Superman picked Lois Lane the flower.

St. Lucia is beautiful...I miss it so much!

Nov 9th, 1998, 12:15 PM
Jean

St. Martin: Check out Orient Beach. Lots of water sports as well as little beach bars/restaurants. Grab a lounge chair/umbrella at either Bikini Beach or Kontiki Beach. Both will send a waiter/waitress out to your chair in the sand - it's wonderful! Most of the bars on the beach also have a local band going all afternoon. You haven't lived until you hear Jimmy Buffett "Margaritaville" in French!

Shopping in Philipsburg is great - Front Street - especially if you're looking for jewelry - they'll come down quite a bit on their "published" prices. Check out The Gold Mine and Omni Jewelers. Good for perfume too - about a 40% discount from the states (Philipsburg - not Marigot - Marigot is more expensive for the same items). Cute place for lunch in Philipsburg is "Everyting's Cool" - you can't miss the surf board out front. Go thru the little alleyway entrance and it opens out into a big courtyard right on the beach. They serve sandwiches/salads and the island's only grilled vegie-burger! Sometimes the crews from the ships come in and start a game of beach volleyball. Usually have a band the days that the ships are in port.

Have a great time!

Nov 22nd, 1998, 07:57 AM
Diane

We were in Phillipsburg last Oct when
a cruise ship arrived! There were as
many taxi drivers/rental car touts waiting for the cruiser folks as there were people coming off the boat!
I'd get out of P'burg as quickly as
possible. (Unless you are really taking a cruise to go shopping?) Orient Beach would be a great side trip, unless you are put off by
topless bathers of ALL ages. If you rent a car to get there, LEAVE NOTHING in the car while at the beach. Up the road you can catch cheap little launch to Pinel Isle which has awesome snorkeling, and a nice outdoor barbeque place for lunch. Dawn Beach is not as far from P'burg, and a lovely, quieter place. Water was too choppy for snorkling when we were there, but the view of Saba was pretty and there's a
fun beach bar-restaurant there as well.

Nov 23rd, 1998, 01:55 PM
Ken

Just returned from a Princess Cruise to these islands. St. Lucia, great diving and snorkeling at Anse Chastenant. St. Kitts hard hit by the hurricane. Take taxi to Turtle beach or other beach, nothing much else to see, but views are dramatic. St. Maarten, went to Dawn Beach, very secluded, but new bar there that was fun. Snorkeling there was non existent, the hurricane 3 years ago destroyed what was great reefs. St. John or St. thomas, head to Trunk Bay or cinnamon on St. John. Sapphire Beach on St. thomas. Have a great time.