Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

End of October Honeymoon - recommend island/high-end resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 09:31 AM
stella march

My fiance and I recently cancelled our honeymoon to stay at Vatulele in Fiji due to the current unrest there. Now we're starting over from scratch. I know we're catching the tail-end of the hurricane season - but can anyone recommend a destination or resort in this region? <BR>We're looking for great beaches, high quality food and service, luxurious accomodations, as well as a little exclusivity/seclusion. Not to mention great weather and opportunity to do a little sight-seeing. <BR>Any advice would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 04:14 PM
TJM

Simple. St. Maarten. For what you described, there is no other. Email me if you need any help. P.S. No, I am not involved in the tourism in any way form or fasion. TJM

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 04:44 PM
Karen

Make sure you buy trip insurance just in case! Some places to consider: CuisinArt (Anguilla), Parrot Cay (Turks and Caicos), Petit St. Vincent (Grenadines), Young Island (Grenadines), Cotton House (Mustique), Guana Island, Peter Island or Biras Creek (BVI). Think that the Meridian Club (Turks and Caicos) reopens in Oct but may not until November, Jumby Bay or Curtain Bluff (Antigua). Nisbet Plantation (Nevis). Both Cap Juluca (Anguilla) and Four Seasons (Nevis) are secheduled to reopen this Fall but wouldn't bet on it given "Caribb time!" I am sure there are others that I have forgotten ... Carl Gustaf on St. Barts ... most you can link thru www.luxurylink.com and maybe come up with other thoughts there too!!

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:19 PM
Louis

We returned from Petit St. Vincent 9:15 pm last night. Ask away direct on anything you want to know. This makes it very personal. We also have been in Fiji and know of your problems well. We have been in Young Island, Guana Island, and are aware of Cap Juluca and Biras Creek. Also we have been in Caneel Bay and Little Dix. Again it is best to deal direct as I tend to be generous on a forum.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 03:19 AM
Brenda

I hope you have luck in choosing a new destination. I believe you would love Turks & Caicos if you originally chose Fiji. We loved Fiji, and will return someday. T&C has a lot to offer, as does Fiji. The diving/snorkelling is awesome. You can reach down in knee length water and pick up 7 inch starfish. The people are pleasant, and it is safe. The best way to go is probably an all-inclusive. The restaurants are great-but can be expensive as you will pay $80-$100.00 for a dinner on the average. The all-inclusives have the booze and food incorporated in the price. In addition-the person that mentioned Parrot Cay forgot to add that the rates are $600.00 a night, and there is no booze included with your stay there (people have spent $2000.00 over a week stay (bottle of average wine is $100. This resort is great if you have plenty of $$. The average person would probably choose Beaches(kids allowed, but hear not a problem for ones without kids), Club Med, and I heard Coral Gardens, The Sands, and Grace Bay Club are good. The Allegro-I have heard a lot of conflicting and not so hot info on so try to pick another resort to be sure you have a fab time. Go to the message board if you have questions on T&C. www.turksandcaicostourism.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi I hope you choose this place-beaches are amazing!!! Fiji is unbelievable and so is Australia. We plan to hit Thailand, Bali, and Tahiti in the next year or two. Any ? e-mail me at [email protected] Have a great day1!!