Eloping to the Caribbean - which island??

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eloping to the Caribbean - which island??

We are both in our 40s, and plan to elope to a Caribbean island next May or June. We'll likely stay for 7-10 days. What we're looking for --

*availability of quiet beachfront accommodations (villa or hotel) for $400 or less per night. Pool preferred.

*Uncrowded most of the time without a lot of cruise ship traffic everywhere

*relatively inexpensive on the island overall

*pretty, uncrowded beaches and lovely scenery besides beaches, as we are both photography hobbyists

*somewhere to snorkel, walk-in would be nice

*good food -- nice meals as well as good food shacks/low end meals

*charming, safe local town(s) with maybe a bit of shopping. Local art or food markets would be a bonus.

*A couple other things to do besides hang on the beach all day would be nice - maybe a place to hike, a historical site to visit, para-sailing, etc.

*We have no need for an active nightlife; just a place to have a few drinks and maybe listen to some music after dinner.

Obviously we'd also want to be able to get married there fairly easily (we are US citizens.)

So I ask you Caribbean experts --What are your thoughts on the island destination for us? I tagged a few areas we are looking at, but are still open to other islands.

Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Many islands have minimum stay requirements before you can get married. For instances, it's 3 days in the BVI's and 2 days for Anguilla. You can research all the legal requirements for marriage on any island here: www.islandbrides.com
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM

I'm sorry, but didn't you post this exact question three weeks ago and get lots of responses? Has something changed?
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I did post, but this is more specific to what we are looking for . Dio you have an island in mind for us?
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM

My recommendation hasn't changed.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM

i'd make st. john your "home" island. US - so easy to get marriage arranged - think you have to stop at the courthouse on st. thomas to do paperwork. has all you want except beachfront unless you stay at the westin. caneel would be nice but out of your price range. most people rent villas - many of which have gorgeous views & pools & tradewinds to keep you cool.
lots of stunning spots for your wedding. have not used but know there are some good & helpful wedding planners on st. john
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM

I think USVI would be the easiest to get married, since it is technically the United States. St John seems the closest of those to what you describe.