Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Eleuthera Advice...beautiful island-but stay away from Dolcevita restaurant!

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
ECS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eleuthera is one of the most beautiful places for beaches I've ever been. The people are warm, kind and generous. I just came back and after being stung by a jellyfish (nothing serious, just itchy-the locals knew exactly what it was), one of the locals offered to take me to his neighbor-who was a nurse. She left her house, opened up the clinic in Alice Town and took care of me. I couldn't believe it!

The only thorn was an experience at the restaurant DolceVita. They insisted on charging us the 5% extra for using a credit card. It was not written on the menu or posted anywhere. When we inquired, the manager called the owner "Flipper" on her cell phone. She told us to wait until she got back (10 min) to discuss it. 40 minutes later she had a huge argument with us over the matter. She told us she only allowed "certain" clients to use credit cards as a favor (whatever that meant).

Every other place I went to on the island did not charge the 5%, but what amazed me was her rudeness, making us wait around etc...

A GREAT place is CocoDiMama...excellent resort and charming, wonderful hosts...Check it out!!!!

Definitely hit Surfer's Beach Manor for Floyd's home cooked fresh grouper, mac and cheese and peas and rice. Plus homemade desserts by his wonderful daughter. You'll definitely go more than once!

And Teresa (a local chef) makes killer ribs!

Want a great bonefishing guide-Gershem is fabulous!

Just ask around-everyone knows everyone on the island.
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM

I'm so glad you had a great time. Eleuthera is still unspoiled and not very well known,,,,,,,,,yet, but that will change unfortunately. It's almost like going back in time staying there.

Did you make it to Mate&Jenny's? Maitlin makes the BEST conch pizza.

Where is Dolcevita, don't know that one, it might be new. I'm really surprise you had a problem there, but will pass on that info the tourism board.

I agree, although I haven't had a chance to stay at CocodiMama, I would like to plan a trip down and stay there and Rock House on Harbour Island.

Thanks for the great post, and again, glad you had a great time.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:38 AM
ECS
Original Poster

Dolcevita is right next to the Rainbow Inn. Kenny, the owner of the Rainbow Inn (who is most helpful, hospital and kind) used to run it, but turned the lease over to someone else. I'd like to make that clear as I do not want to implicate Ken in any way. He's a fabulous guy.

I liked the Rainbow Inn. Laid back, nice views and wonderful guests to talk to etc...I'm a Cape Codder so it made me feel right at home and we were able to order Theresa's food and have it delevered to the Inn.

I did not go to Mate & Jenny's...too bad. Conch pizza sounds amazing!

I have travelled quite a bit around the world and this is the only problem I have encountered-which makes me lucky I guess. It wasn't the $6, but rather the rude and argumentative manner of the owner. I have been going to the Bahamas since before I could talk and the Bahamians are some of the best folks on earth.

Also, Tippy'sis a great place to eat. Right on Club Med beach, it offers great local and european/american food. The European owners are laid back and fit in with the island attitude.

All the best,
Elizabeth
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM

I never have had anything but a marvelous dinner at Dolce Vita, the owners are always so friendly and considerate. I am surprised you had a problem. We have seen quite a few famous faces there also.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I realize this post is almost a month old, but for what it's worth:

You should call the client relations department of the credit card in question. I am almost certain that this practice violates the terms of agreement between the CC and the vendor. I'm not certain, but I think the agreement is supposed to be that credit card processing fees be treated by the vendor as general overhead, and factored into general pricing. If any alteration in price is to occur, it must be in the form of a discount for cash (which I think is acceptable). On the other hand, if they insist on cash (and it seems they were coming mighty close to it) the CC company can elect to terminate their agreement with the restaurant. If they do not, in fact, have an agreement with any CC company, and are strictly a cash only operation, they are committing I fraud to imply otherwise.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Folks, you better wake up, because paying an extra charge to use your credit card is common outside the States and you had better get used to it, if you want to travel without using cash. Curt
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM
ECS
Original Poster

Yes, you are correct. I have travelled many places that charge extra for using a CC, however they tend to tell you up front and not after the fact. They also don't say, "Well, we only allow certain people to use a credit card" and the owners usually don't make you wait 40 minutes until they have returned to the restaurant to argue with you about how the menus have been misprinted which is why it doesn't state it on the menu etc....she was just very rude about the whole thing. An unpleasant woman.