Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Elbow Beach, Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/elbow-beach-bermuda-251026/)

Lois Aug 19th, 2002 10:13 AM

Elbow Beach, Bermuda

Staying there end of Oct. 50th Anniversary.<BR>Any coments, help, or suggestions? Please!!<BR>Have heard good and bad. Should we take the meal plan or go it alone? Hotel clean - dress, etc.? Thanks!!

monica Aug 19th, 2002 02:59 PM

Fabulous hotel, you will love it. Very sophisticated and charming, and the beach is lovely (one of the nicest in Bermuda)

monica Aug 22nd, 2002 12:00 PM

Thanks. How about things to ask or look for, meals, dress, etc. Help,please.

Lisa Aug 26th, 2002 03:40 PM

Dress is smart casual. It can still be hot in October, so bring light layers. Elbow Beach I believe is the most beautiful resort on the island. I just honeymooned there - and found my room to be a bit damp- we were on the oceanside above the pool, I dont know if that had anything to do with the moisture. Te hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Congradulations on your anniversary!

anon Aug 28th, 2002 06:47 AM

Lois, <BR><BR>Take a look at the post I wrote on 7/19/02 about my 5-night stay at the end of June at Elbow Beach. It's in the thread called "Best Bermuda Hotel" on this forum. I described the problems we had with the room. Don't let it discourage you, though--I bet Elbow has some nice rooms, it's just a matter of finding them. Ask the hotel whether it has any rooms that have been completely renovated very recently. Ours had been done three years before, but I guess that's a long time in a hotel room's life. Also, I was told the rooms are "freshened," or something like that, on an ongoing basis, but clearly our room needed more help than that. One thing in your favor is that in October, the hotel might not be as fully booked as it was in June. That way, if you're not happy with your room, you might be able to switch to one that satisfies you.<BR><BR>As for the meal plan, I personally prefer trying out different restaurants every night, so I'd go it alone. The two best (and most expensive) we tried were Fourways and Tom Moore's Tavern. Jackets were required for gentlemen at both, and some wore ties. We also liked the Lobster Pot in Hamilton (less expensive and more casual). We liked Coconuts at the Reefs Hotel, almost more for the setting (superb) than the food (good). It's on sort of a covered deck set into a cliff overlooking the ocean. If you go before dark and get a table by the railing, the view is beautiful. Dress there is "smart casual" (slacks and a collared shirt for my boyfriend, nice skirt and top for me). Cafe Lido at Elbow, smart casual, was very good, but the service was slow and confused. That may have improved, though, because when we went it had just reopened after a renovation.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that you'll be taking cabs to all these places, which raises the cost of dinner. Also, you might find out whether all of Elbow's restaurants are open during your stay. If not, that'll limit your options and you might not be as happy with your meal plan. I don't know whether Elbow has a "dine-around" arrangement with other hotels.<BR><BR>Aside from our room, we really liked Elbow. Best of luck and congratulations!