Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   El San Juan hotel info (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/el-san-juan-hotel-info-416031/)

Shellee999 Aug 19th, 2008 08:25 PM

El San Juan hotel info

I am currently looking into where to stay for 5 nights in San Juan. I am looking at the El San Juan hotel, as well as the Courtyard Mariott and the Intercontinental. For my dates, the Courtyard and Intercontinental are close in price, but El San Juan is considerably cheaper for a La Vista room. I have read mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. Any thoughts or advice would be quite helpful.

RoamsAround Aug 20th, 2008 06:45 AM

I've stayed at all three .

The reason you see so many mixed reviews for the El San Juan is because a few years ago it was getting a little "long in the tooth" so the value to cost ration just wasn't what most people expected. The hotel then underwent a period of renovation and many guests were turned off and/or inconvenienced by the construction noise. All that is done and the resort is now back to it's "old grandure" and they are offering good prices to win back clientele.

The Intercontinental is a nice hotel (it's right next door to the ESJ) but there's nothing spectacular about it - think of it as a typical high rise hotel.

Courtyard by Marriott is a typical Courtyard by Marriott - like the intercontinental it's neither spectacular nor bland - just your average hotel.

Shellee999 Aug 20th, 2008 10:31 AM

Thank you so much for your reply.

cm318 Aug 20th, 2008 05:35 PM

If you don't have your heart set on any particular hotel you might want to try bidding on Priceline. I know the Mariott and Intercontinental are Priceline properties. We recently spent one night in San Juan (on our way to Virgin Gorda) -- and via Priceline we ended up at the Mariott in Condado. It worked out great.

emcash Aug 21st, 2008 04:56 AM

We stayed at the El san juan years ago, pre-renovation, and it wasn't bad- we were in a casita by the pool area-- not in the main hotel. If the rooms have been renovated, then i would not hesitate to stay there- the lobby is just gorgeous and so much fun-- it turns into a nightclub on weekend nights- but a very sophisticated one- wonderfully dressed people dancing and mingling-- one of my favorite places to go to in PR for a little nightlife.

Shellee999 Aug 21st, 2008 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice about Priceline. I would do that, except that I want to stay in Isla Verde definitely, and not Condado, so that's too much of a gamble for me.

I think I feel mostly comfortable about booking El San Juan, especially with the difference in price.

tom42 Aug 26th, 2008 09:41 AM

I would not hesitate in choosing El San Juan over either the Intercontinental or Courtyard Marriott, especially if the price is lower at El San Juan (seems crazy that the Courtyard Marriott would be pricier than El San Juan - there is no comparison between the two hotels.)

Continental_Drifter Aug 26th, 2008 12:21 PM

Don't forget to consider the El Convento!

Shellee999 Aug 27th, 2008 10:28 AM

I've heard such wonderful things about El Convento, but I have other family staying in Isla Verde, so I've decided to stay there as well. I hope to at least check it out though.