Reload this Page >

Tell me about Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 08:42 AM
Kathy

My husband and I were planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta for December 1998 -- but thought about changing to the Cayman Islands -- what do you think. Which is more expensive for food and lodging???

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 09:46 AM
Mindy Bilker

I would say Grand Cayman is more expensive. We were there only once, on a cruise. The people are very snobbish, and seven-mile beach is alright, but I think the beaches in the Bahamas are nicer. Remember there are 700 banks on the Island.

Old Nov 7th, 1997, 12:41 PM
SMiller

We have been to Grand Cayman three years in a row and loved it. We will continue going back. We found the people to be very friendly and it is an extremely safe place to visit. You can walk down the main street after dark and feel perfectly safe. The beaches are beautiful, snorkeling is great, and there is plenty of good shopping. If you are looking for night life, forget it. It's a little more expensive, but well worth the money.

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 03:11 PM
Betty

I agree with the previous message except for the snorkeling and the expense. I am a scuba diver and found the snorkeling to be disappointing. The diving, however, is terrific, especially on the North Side and the mini-wall off the Turtle Farm. If you're open to it, try taking a intro-resort scuba course so you can experience the Cayman Islands most famous feature. The USD is worth 20 percent less than the Cayman dollar. Add that to higher prices for goods and services and you will find Cayman Islands to be quite expensive. If you are not a scuba diver, there isn't too much to see or do there other than water sports and the beach.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 06:41 PM
G. WALTERS

KATHY, Grand Cayman is indeed safe, clean and beautiful. You really can walk around the island even at night, something unfortunatly becoming very rare in the caribbean.I have been to the Caymans four times and can tell you this, they have really only two things, scuba diving and seven mile beach. But both the the things they have are beyond world class.The BEST diving and seven mile beach in the morning is my favorite place in the world.

Old Dec 24th, 1997, 08:22 AM
Kathy Franks

We just returned from Grand Cayman -- absolutely beautiful. It was one of the best vacations that my husband and I have ever had. We don't dive and are ameteur snorklers, but thought that the snorkling was wonderful. We stayed at Morritt's Tortuga club on the East End. It was a bit of a drive if you wanted to go into town for dinner but the trade off at that end of the island was peace and quiet -- a commodity that I value on a vacation. We had a kitchen in our unit that was great for countering the expense of the food. We traveled there with a suitcase full of food, and ate breakfast and some lunches in the room -- then tried some of the restaurants for dinner. It is definitely more expensive that some places -- always ask if the price in CI (Cayman) or US -- but the trade off is an incredibly safe island where the people are friendly and happy (they have full employment there). Our concierge said that in all of the years he had worked at the hotel no guest had ever reported anything stolen from their room. Also, there is never anyone following you trying to sell you something -- as in many areas in Mexico. The people just aren't poor. If you use the Yahoo search engine and just search "Grand Cayman" there are several condo rentals listed by their owners. The units are on the north side near Rum Point (a beautiful area for sunsets). They seem to be reasonable priced for what they offer, and are in an area of peace and quiet. The extra cost of having a kitchen is a good trade off against eating all of your meals in restaurants. If you stay there it is a short drive (3 miles) to Rum Point where you can catch the Hyatt Ferry to seven mile beach for the afternoon. That's a good way to be in the middle of things for a while. All in all I give Grand Cayman a 9 1/2. We had a wonderful time. The ocean is truly turqouise -- there is little surf at the shore because of the reef -- but don't be fooled -- there is a strong current. Ask about it before you get it -- and don't miss Sting Ray City. A little disconcerting at first but a great adventure none the less. Send me e-mail if you think there is anything else I can tell you. You will love it.

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 12:12 PM
Andrew

I went to Puerta Vallarta a few years ago, and you will be trading lower costs (Puerta Vallarta) for many solicitors anytime you step on the beach (all beaches are public, so once you step off of hotel property, you will be asked to buy food, puppets, carvings, statues.... The water is green and has small waves. I was there one week, and only saw few people go into the water on the beach. I took a snokeling tour, but good spots are hard to find, and not worth the hour boat ride each way. I would recommend staying at the best resort you can afford, as the town itself is not great.

I'm going to the Cayman's soon, and have a friend living there. Food will be expensive, but soliciting is forbidden, and a reef protects the island, so the warm ocean (about 81 degrees all year) should have visibility of at least 100 feet most of the time.