Reload this Page >

Economic Alternatives to Flying to the Bahamas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 08:23 AM
Daniel Williams

I was thinking of visiting the Bahamas with a friend of mine. Unfortunately, my friend refuses to fly (phobia), so this option is not an option. I realize there are cruise lines that stop in the Bahamas but these can be very expensive and make multiple stops. I'm interested in spending more than just a few days in the Bahamas. My question is: is there a ferry/boat service from mainland USA over to the islands? (It looks like about 100 miles from Florida to the westernmost islands on a map, so I thought this might be a possibility.) If we can get to one island, I've read that the others are accessible by water taxi.

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 11:21 AM
tweedy

There is a cruise line that goes to Freeport (Grand Bahama Island) called Discover Cruises and the price is very good, you can also get package deals to several hotels on the island. But I am afraid that is the only island that you wlll be able to visit, there is no "ferry" service from Freeport to other islands, the is a service from Nassau to Eleuthera and Harbour Island but that means you have to get to Nassau by air. <BR> <BR>There was a ferry service from Miami to Nassau but it went out of business the begining of November, not enought passengers to keep it afloat (lol, sorry for the pun). <BR> <BR>Most of the islands are too far apart for water taxi service. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 08:05 PM
Noah

Does your friend travel by car? Tell him that travelling on a large, commercial airplane is by far the safest mode of travel (with the possible exception of large cruise ships). <BR> <BR>It is common knowledge that travelling by plane is much, safer, safer than travelling by automobile.

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 10:46 AM
Daniel Williams

Noah: I suspect my friend's phobia is not rationally-based... <BR> <BR>Tweedy: Thanks for your input; it's greatly appreciated. Grand Bahama Island/Freeport seems very tempting. Indeed I managed to find Discovery Cruises on wwww.bahamas.com's website under Freeport. <BR> <BR>By the way, I've been told (unconfirmed) there's a mailboat to Nassau, but that the time of travel is quite long. <BR> <BR>Thanks again!

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 04:25 PM
tweedy

Daniel there is a mail boat but it only goes once a week and then how do you get back to Freeport. Also the mailboat is more for freight and not designed for people. Also the trip is over open ocean and if the surf is high the ride can be a bit dicey. <BR> <BR>Discovery is a large ship and alot more comfortable, so if flying is out I think it is your only option. <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 11:22 AM
Noah

Daniel, <BR> <BR>I thought of that myself did you did specify 'phobia'. I just thought that perhaps pointing out the facts I mentioned to your friend could influence him. <BR> <BR>Perhaps you can encourage him to work on overcoming his phobia, many other people have, and he is missing out on a lot.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 11:25 AM
Noah

Please be aware that I am sympathetic because I have suffered from phobias myself. I still often get scared at night.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Debra

The Discovery Cruise Line leaves every day from Ft. Lauderdale to the Grand Bahamas at 8am. They return every day at 4:45pm, except Sunday at 4:00pm. The cruise lasts for 5 house, and includes a buffet breakfast. I would guess there is food available on the retunr trip also. If you are not interested in one of their Cruise 'N Stay plans, you can buy what they call a broken package. This costs $159, and includes all taxes and port charges.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Jean

Hi,<BR>I live in South Florida and my husband and I recently went to Grand Bahama (the closest to here at 100 miles) Well, we looked into the cruise option and the only one we knew of was "Sea Escape" which we were told no longer goes there.<BR>The only option you may have would be a cruise to Nassau (which is further than Grand Bahama but a lot more to do). I think some lines will stay there for about 3 days. You might want to check with Liberty Travel or Cruise Supermarket for some good deals.<BR>Good luck!

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 09:39 AM
April

I read a few months ago in some travel mag (which one I have not idea), that there was a new hydrofoil planned out of Miami to Nassau. I don't know any details or dates but you might try a travel agency based in Miami, they probably would know before anyone else. Have a great trip. If all else fails you could check with The Moorings, they rent small yachts and can provide captains, crews, whatever. I have talked with them before and with the savings on hotel and travel, you come out about the same as air and hotel. You also have the convience of going where you want, when you want. Good luck.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 12:14 PM
tweedy

The fast ferry was going to Grand Bahama island, and there was a ferry over to Nassau but it went out of business. The Discovery Cruise Line does operate to GBI, but not sure of the times or days.<BR><BR>You also may be talking about the ferry that goes from Nassau to Eleuthera and Harbour Island. That goes twice a day, early am and pm depending on weather, about a 2 hour trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Kay

There is a new fast ferry service that goes to either Nassau or Freeport. If yu e-mail me a remeinder I will check my research material on the Bahamas and find the information for you.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:08 AM
rex

Try www.seajets.com. They have a svc from Florida to Freeport for $99 r/t plus tax and port charges.