COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Eastern Caribbean cruise

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Eastern Caribbean cruise

My partner and I are taking our first cruise in late May. It is the Carnival Fascination, leaving San Juan (with a night at a hotel in Old San Juan) with stops in St. Thomas, Sint Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados. We have usually done independent travel in the past, so this will be a new experience. We're in our mid-late 30's. We've never been to any of these islands before (though I have been to San Juan) and would like a nice variety of excursions (whether ship based or otherwise). I'd like to have some combination of beaches, snorkeling, natural beauty, unique activities, historical sites, hikes, maybe rum distilleries, but not sure what would be best on which island to get a nice variety. Basically something unique to each island, to get a good experience. I would appreciate any thoughts!
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 11:16 AM

Maybe this will help:

a) St. Thomas will have the best snorkeling of the islands on your list.

b) Barbados has several rum distilleries that you can tour.

c) St. Lucia will be the lushest island on your trip with rainforests and waterfalls that make it perfect for hiking.

d) St. Kitts is rich in history. Take a tour that includes stops at the fortress at Brimstone Hill (one of the best in the Caribbean, the ruins of Wingfield Plantation, the Gardens at Romney Manor, the Petroglyphs and the Black Rocks Lava Flow. If you still have time visit one of the beaches for a dip in the water.

e) St. Martin is the shopping Mecca of the Caribbean and has some excellent beaches. Consider taking one of the catamaran full or half-day sails to neighboring islands.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:11 AM

I agree, as usual, with RoamsAround. Also, have you checked Cruise Critic? They have lots of information on excursions to the various ports.