Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Early AM/ forced overnight Barbados. Inexpensive yet safe hotel near to BGI? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/early-am-forced-overnight-barbados-inexpensive-yet-safe-hotel-near-to-bgi-395574/)

leavingsoon Jul 15th, 2008 01:30 PM

Early AM/ forced overnight Barbados. Inexpensive yet safe hotel near to BGI?

Hi Everyone:

Thanks to your input, this is shaping up to be a Caribbean adventure.

Due to using FF tickets, we must transit BGI to go home and will only be arriving Barbados late afternoon the night before. We have been to the Crane, but they want $300 USD ++ and a minimum 3 night stay...so that is out, especially as we do not want to spend a lot at all.

This is all about a safe pillow for the night.

As I get anxious about missing early morning departures and worry about the taxi being late, I would like the shortest distance possible to BGI, but where?

Being near to a market would be a plus to get some island food treats for the long day's flying ahead.

Can anyone remark on an acceptable area that is safe to walk around in after sunset?

I don't think we would do a car for such a short trip. We'd need to leave for the airport before 5 am for our 7:30 am international flight.

Many many thanks for suggestions.

BeachGirl247 Jul 15th, 2008 03:57 PM

Our overnights have been shorter than yours and we like:

Bougainvillea Resort; very charming, pretty beach, nice accommodations, clean, nice hosts.

www.bougainvillearesort.com

and

Peach & Quiet (no frills, close, charming British owners and pretty rocky shore) Owners are more than helpful scheduling your cab ventures (used the same man each time we've been there). Very reliable and affordable. Even packed a snack for us since we left before breakfast!

www.peachandquiet.com

I don't recall if it's 10 or 15 min to town but for us it was all about the convenience for the early morning departure. Don't rent a car.

We didn't walk around either of these, only pulled up a chair and enjoyed a cold beverage. You could go into the Gap but even there I didn't like walking around late.

BeachGirl

leavingsoon Jul 15th, 2008 04:31 PM

Thanks BeachGirl247 - and what a great nickname, too!

:)

leavingsoon Jul 15th, 2008 04:38 PM

:(

From the website:

Please note that Peach and Quiet will be closed from 1st May until 22nd October 2008 for normal bookings.

Sigh. I put that there to assist others as well.

doug_stallings Jul 16th, 2008 05:22 AM

Most transit passengers stay at the Hilton, and you might be able to get a good deal there depending on the time of year.

You might try the South Beach Resort in Rockley. It runs about $170 per night.

You might also take a look at Hotel Pom Marine, which belongs to Barbados Community College and is used for trainees in their hospitality program. Although it's in Hastings (not nearly as close as the Gap to the airport), I don't expect much traffic that early. It's only $114 per night.

leavingsoon Jul 16th, 2008 10:33 AM

Thanks for that, Doug.

If you or anyone else can chime in on a recent concern, I would appreciate it. I know it repeats a previous thread, but as I start contacting places in the Grenadines (Bequia/ Mayreau), it seems they shut down for September and October and given that information I am feeling a little wary of booking for the last weeks of August.

Any wisdom much appreciated. Have been trying to read tea leaves of forecasts but cannot understand. I do see that most storms go north, but Ivan sure was a doozy...and lastyear's September storm?

All wisdom appreciated.

Will snorkeling be horrible? Seas rough? We have to finalize today or lose the seats.

Thanks again.

bajangirl Jul 16th, 2008 01:33 PM

A new "airport hotel" has just opened called Tropical Winds. Quiet area, but has a nice pool, bar and restaurant.
http://www.tropicalwindsbarbados.com/index.shtml
For your purposes it should be find.

leavingsoon Jul 16th, 2008 02:05 PM

Thank you for that!

doug_stallings Jul 16th, 2008 07:01 PM

The trade winds may be a bit weaker in August and September and the chance of hurricanes more ... though less likely the further south you go.

But to be honest, the main reason a lot of hotels shut down is that the owners want to take a vacation and would prefer to do it when travel to the Caribbean is slowest. It's not taht you can't snorkel or enjoy the weather, though it will certainly be hotter than usual.

leavingsoon Jul 16th, 2008 09:43 PM

Thanks for that, and now, I have the best news of all- they found room for us to go honme straight from Grenada, so no night needed in Barbados, no expensive inter-island flight, and no additional Barbados airport tax.

I will miss the duty free, though (sniff, sniff).

I hope this helps someone else with their plans.

mymoosie Jul 17th, 2008 04:22 AM

Hi leavingsoon. Your post here was helpful. We may have to overnight in Barbados next time we go, so this is good info. Thanks. :)

greenie Jul 17th, 2008 06:30 AM

Southern Palms in St Lawrence Gap is great and about 10 min from the airport.

Southern Palms is within walking distance of a lot of restaurants and a couple of convenience stores for snacks.

Peace, Greenie