Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Duty Free at SJU and interisland customs question

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm down to fumes in my favorite bottle of rum: Old Grog from Grenada. I've never seen this rum available for sale in the states so I definitely want to buy some on my upcoming trip in June. However, we're going to Grenada first and then Anguilla, which means I either have to tote the rum to Anguila (and try not to drink it while still on vacation!) or try to buy it in one of the duty free shops in SJU. I have the feeling that's probably not sold outside of Grenada, but if anybody can confirm it either way, I'd appreciate it!

This next question is a bit stupid, but if one is traveling from another Caribbean island to Anguilla, the customs restrictions remain the same as if one were traveling from the US or UK or wherever, right?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM

I don't know about the customs rules, but I feel your pain. My husband's favorite rum is Clarke's Court Old Grog as well. If you haven't yet, visit www.ministryofrum.com -- they will list retailers (both brick/mortar and online) and distributors of most rums on the planet, including this one. Due to my own state's (MD) archaic alcohol distributorship rules, we are shut out, but depending on where you live, you might have some luck.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Sorry, can't tell you if Old Grog is sold in the SJU Duty Free shops.

Regarding your customs question, the short answer is yes. When you travelling around the Caribbean you'll find the customs rules for the island you are entering to be the same no matter what island you last visited. The only exceptions, of course, are if you are travelling between islands in the same "island nation or federation chain" such as between any of the Briish Virgin Islands (i.e. between Tortola and Virgin Gorda), between St. Vincent and any of the Grenadines (i.e. St. Vincent & Bequia), between any of the USVI's (i.e. St. Thomas and St. John) or between St. Kitts & Nevis in which case you don't clear customs or immigration.

Thus for your upcomming trip, you will clear customs upon arrival in Grenada (and be subject to that islands customs restrictions), again when you arrive in Anguilla (subject to Anguilla's rules) and then when you return to your country of origin (I assume in your case that's the USA).
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Callaloo, thanks for the tip. I'll check out the website right away. Is it the same guy known as the Minister of Rum from the book An Embarrassment of Mangos who put the website together?

RoamsAround, thanks. You confirmed what I figured.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's the same Minister of Rum (Ed Hamilton -- not to be confused with the charter broker of the same name).
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM

As far as if it's sold there, I'm sure it is but as you well may know, things are known to sell out.
I think it is easier than toting it around though.

I'm sure it's the same in terms of customs too.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:37 AM

this page lists a store in of all places utah that says is sells your dh's rum:
http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=185280
you might call these folks as well: http://www.rumshop.net/internetwinesagedrums.htm

as an alternative to lugging it around could you have a case shipped home from grenada?