Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

drive time from San Juan to rainforest to Vieques

Nov 28th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Anne

We have rented a car to travel from San Juan to Vieques. I am wondering if there is enough time, if we get an early morning start from San Juan, to visit the El Yunque rainforest during the day and make it to the 4.30 p.m. ferry to Vieques. Is this possible or crazy?!!!! Thanks for any advice.

Nov 28th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Ronnie

Very possible. El Yunque is about an hour out of the city. Vieques ferry is in Fajardo, I believe, and that's a short didtance from the foot of the rain forest. You will have plenty of time.
Ronnie

Nov 29th, 2002, 10:42 AM
anne

Thanks, Ronnie
We are looking forward to the rainforest. i'm also wondering which are the most impressive hiking trails in the rainforest. The kids want to swim in waterfalls!!!

Nov 29th, 2002, 01:34 PM
VVV

If you intend on taking the 4:30pm ferry, you'll have to make plans to stay in Vieques. I think the last ferry from Vieques to PR leaves at 6:30 pm

Nov 30th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Anne

Thanks for replies. Yes, we are planning to stay in Vieques for 3 days. sounds like a neat place!Still wondering about the best hiking trails in the rainforest. has anyone got suggestions? Also I'm wondering how long it would take to drive from Fajardo to Rincon. I realise this is from one end of the island to the other.
Also if we do this drive which route should we take- right around the east coast or back to San Juan and inland from north to south and then west along the coast? Any help would be appreciated. Anne

Nov 30th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Cathy

You can do a day trip to El Yunque and make the ferry - cruise ship excursions go to El Yunque and back within a matter of hours. However, it is a bit rushed for the rainforest if you want to hike. If you can arrange it, you may want to spend the night in Fajardo then catch the ferry to Vieques the next day. Vieques is a great place to relax. Don't expect much to do.

Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:37 AM
x

Taking a car by ferry to Vieques has the lowest piority. A reservation is a must but you can still be denied access - cargo comes first. For more information go to\
http://www.enchanted-isle.com/vieques/ferry.htm
You might consider leaving the car in Fajardo.

Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
anne

Thanks for help. we've decided to leave the car in Farjardo.Still wondering about drive time from Fajardo to Rincon. anyone have the answer? Thanks.
Anne

Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
s

Fajardo to Rincon is somewhere around 120 miles. If you take the northern route back through San Juan the trip will take at least 2 1/2 hours maybe more. Once west of San Juan there is a toll road so you could make good time. The southern route through Ponce is longer and you won't make good time. The trip is going to trake at least 3 hours.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:48 PM
anne

Thanks for your help. i think we'll take the southern route so we see more of the island. I appreciate your help!
Anne

Dec 8th, 2002, 07:51 AM
jeri

I'd like to add some related questions. We will be in Puerto Rico over Christmas break and thinking of doing the same thing. (Have reservations for 5 nites in San Juan followed by 3 nites in Vieques.) Do you need to make reservations to take the ferry to Vieques? Where can I find the schedule of daily trips? Also, how many days do people advise renting a car for? We need a car at least the one day to drive from San Juan, stop at El Yunque and on to Fajardo. Should we rent one for another day or two to drive around the main island? We will be staying in the Isle Verde area. Thanks for any advice.

Dec 8th, 2002, 04:21 PM

Ferry Schedule
Monday through Friday
Vieques to Fajardo
7 am, 11 am, 3pm.
Fajardo to Vieques
9:30 am., 1 pm. 4:30 pm
Saturday- Sunday
Vieques to Fajardo
7 am, 1 pm. 4:30 pm
Fajardo- Vieques
9 am, 3pm, 6 pm.
Fare is $2 per person.
Reservations can be made at
(787) 863-4560

Dec 9th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Anne

Thanks rqfe for ferry schedule. The best site I've found is "the enchanted isle" site. just search for enchanted isle and you will find alot of helpful info. about Vieques.

Dec 10th, 2002, 04:02 AM
johnno

When you are on Vieques, rent a car for the whole time that you are there. It will make your stay much more enjoyable since the hotels on Vieques are not the "We never had to leave the grounds of the hotel" type. More like small inns.

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:55 AM
jeri

What companies will rent a car that you can pick up in San Juan and drop off in Fajardo? I tried a couple internet booking sites (travelocity & expedia) & both came back with no results.

Dec 12th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Anne

Jeri, we've rented a car through Avis on the phone not over the net. they will let us pick it up in San Juan and drop it in Fajardo.The number I've used for contacting Avis is 1-800-331-1084
good luck!