Elbow Beach or Ariel Sands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've narrowed our choice down to these 2 hotels (elbow beach or ariel sands). I've never been to Bermuda. We're a younger couple (ages 28 & 30) that enjoys later dinners and some entertainment if possible. If you think another hotel would better suit us, please suggest! Thank you!
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Hi we have stayed at Ariel Sands 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. Ocean view room good food. Took a mopedto elbow beach, beautiful beach but more of an older hotel. Liked the small intimate hotels. Going back to Bermuda in a week and staying at Pompano Beach which was highly recommended by fellow foderites. Will let you know how we like it.
Karen
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Hi! Both of these hotels are very different. Elbow is a big beautiful hotel with a fantastic beach, a few restaurants to choose from, tennis courts, great pool etc. Ariel sands has its own charm. It is much smaller more cottage style hotel. there is one restuarant, which is good. Both hotels are equidistant from Hamilton. I must say there is more nightlife at elbow than ariel sands. the veranda bar is always got soemthing going on. they are both nice but I think for what you are looking for... I would go for Elbow Beach. Plus they just opened a new spa that is supposed to be wonderful! Have a great trip!
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Hi:

I am from Bermuda and out of the two hotels that you mentioned, I would suggest Elbow for your late night entertainment. Another hotel that I would reccomend is the Fairmont Hamilton. It is about a 3 minute walk outside the city and you would be able to experience the city night life (bars, clubs, restaraunts, late night shopping) easily. However, you wouldnt be around any beaches...at least you would be able to access them easily. You would have to take the ferry or a taxi or rent a moped if you wanted.

Hope that helps!!
-SA
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:20 AM
EOV

We returned from 10 days at Ariel Sands on 6/18/05. What a disappointment! It claims to be luxurious and high end but it was no comparison to our wonderful experiences at the Hamilton Princess, Elbow Beach, and Grotto Bay Beach Club. Ariel Sands service staff (bellmen and housekeeping staff) were friendly and good at their jobs, but the front desk staff was what I must describe as surly. It was like pulling teeth to get help. The restaurant, Aqua, is overpriced and not that good. You are better off at places like Cafe Lido, Fresco, Pickled Onion, Tio Pepe, or Cafe Gia, all of which had great food. Worst of all was the air conditioning problem. They have a beautiful lounge but it is always empty because it is uncomfortably hot and stuffy all the time. In 10 days, it was always that way. And it gets annoying looking at picture after picture after picture of Michael Douglas, hanging on the walls of thelobby and lounge! The private beach is wonderfully quiet and the snorkeling was adequate. Overall, however, for the quite expensive rates, you can do much better in Bermuda.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM

EOV, you had a great experience at Grotto Bay? How does it compare to others? Is it romantic, or more of a family place?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM
sp

ftrain - been to Grotto Bay - felt it to be more of a family place - casual, not stuffy at all. We enjoyed it simply because it was close to St. George's, which we wanted to be closer to for a change. The rooms are basic but comfortable and we enjoyed the Palms Restaurant (casual) and it's just a short walk up the hill to the Swizzle Inn, ice cream shop and grocery store. The grounds are very picturesque and very well maintained. I'm glad we stayed there the year that we went because it was Fall and the south shore water was very rough with huge waves - the public beaches were even closed. Since Grotto is on the north shore, the water was completely calm - we will definitely stay there again if we ever go back that time of year.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Ms. marcelot, I live in Bermuda, but before I moved here in 2001 I stayed at both Elbow and Ariel Sands. Unless they' ve redone the rooms, which is possible, Elbow did not compare in terms of the room. Contrary to what one poster said above, I believe Ariel Sands has one of the best restaurants in Bermuda. Love to go there; never been disappointed. But, I've also eaten well at several of the Elbow restaurants. Mickey's on the beach is very good and can't be beat for location (if you don't mind getting some sand on your feet getting there).

I found both to be comparable in price.

In terms of night life, well I imagine Elbow has more because it's a bigger property and can support entertainment.

All that being said, have you considered Pompano or Southhampton Princess? I've heard good things about both. Pompano is a bit far out of town, so it may not have the night life; but it does have one of Bermuda's prettiest beaches and lovely swimming. Southhampton Princess is a larger property so they may have some bands, etc. it too is a hike from hamilton. It has a beach down the hill, and is the closest hotel to Horseshoe Bay, which is spectacular.

Someone above recommended the Hamilton Princess. It is more of a business hotel than a resort, to my mind. No beach. But, true, Hamilton is a short stroll a few blocks away, and you can always catch a taxi or ferry nearby.

Personally, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above. Good luck.