Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

DR--Paradisus or Barcelo Bavaro Palace??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:38 AM
kayla

Does anyone have any input on which of these is the nicer property--ie, better beach, lay-out of resort, pool (rooms not a concern). Thanks!!

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:15 AM
rqf

I was at the Palace in December. All buildings are parallel to the beach. Some set back about 100 feet, others about 200 feet. I submitted a comprehensive review. You can read reviews of both hotels at http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:21 AM
karen

Kayla: I stayed at the Paradisus the first week in February. I have a post on this website which still is popping up which might answer a lot of your questions and I also posted a review on Debbie's website which is mentioned in the above post. The beach is spectacular, plenty of palapas and palm trees so you don't have to be directly in the sun and the pool is huge with many arms (like petals) off the center and a swim up bar which was always busy. If there's anything specific I can answer, I'd be happy to help out. By the way, both resorts are on the large size, the Palace is one of 3 Barcelo properties all grouped together and the Paradisus is a Melia property (a sprawling one) which is on it's own now. Karen

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:12 PM
candy

hi. hope this is of some help. i can speak for the bavaro palace as i stayed at the bavaro beach which is part of the same resort. we loved every moment of our trip. not one complaint. the palace is a bit more upscale and sedate compared to the beach. truthfully "the beach" is where people seemed to gravitate to but both are beautiful. you can't go wrong here. my husband would like to try the palace, i would stick to the beach but, truthfully, i would be happy at either place. lot of people had complaints about their resorts on the way home. not one person who stayed at bavaro complained about anything. that says it all or maybe we just got a lucky week!?

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:23 PM
rqf

The Bavaro resort consists of five properties. As mentioned in another reply it is the upscale property of the Bavaro Resort. An advantage of staying at the Palace is you have the option of taking meals at any of the other properties. If you stay at one of the other complexes you cannot eat at the restaurants at the Palace. The beach stretches out at least one half a mile; the Palace anchors one end of the property. Lots of shade trees and beach lounges are readily available and beach is kept very clean. You find sea grass in the water and it is washed up on the sand. Crews clean it up twice a day - once in the morning and again in mid afternoon. I posted an extensive review on the Debbie website.I was there in December of 2000.