Seeking suggestions for beachfront resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching for days and having very little luck. Interested in a hut on the beach (with modern amenities of course!) where we can step out of our door and right onto the beach just a few steps from the water. Any suggestions for boutique (reasonable-priced) resorts to check out? Anything remotely interesting is running $600+ a night. I think it's the outrageous food prices I'm finding that seem to make the Caribbean (especially Barbados), though beautiful as it may be, priced out of our range.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Have you looked into Bequia or Grenada?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you have a resort suggestion as well?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Have you looked at Coral Sands in Barbados. www.coralsandsresort.com. Very nice place on a non touristy beach. About a 15 min walk to some very good restaurants in St Lawrence Gap
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM

What came to mind was Anguilla for 2 reasons. It is a small island, so most are beach front, and there are so many places to eat, in every price range. We love Cap Juluca, and all rooms have a beautiful view and all are beach front- So you can stay in a std room, be steps from a sugar sand tranquil blue beach - all rooms have the same view at CJ, regardless of what room you have. There are many food choices, and in room breakfast delivery is included in your room rate. Car rental is recomended (inexpensive, fun and easy to make your way around the island) Also there are so many beautiful beaches to visit on Anguilla..Don't be scared off by Anguilla, you can stay at a first rate hotel like CJ and dine very affordable. The food on Anguilla is great!

CJ is a little more a hut - LOL, It is right on the beach. Get a ground floor room if interested...it's like having your own personal beach, as the patio just leads down to the sand. Last I counted 15 steps
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:30 PM

JB, curiousx another poster on this board would be a good resource for you. I have only required 1-2 night accommodations in Grenada. St.George is the homeport for Windjammer's ship Yankee Clipper. I have done some research on Grenada and seems there are some places that might meet your specifications. Bequia is another island you might enjoy. Again I visit via WJ so Can't give you any details but quite sure you would find something to your liking. Nevis also has the type of accommodation you seem to be searching for. Nesbit Beach comes to mind. Try doing a web search and figure out your specifics and the posters here will be glad to assist.
What time of year were you planning to travel as this can make a difference in the cost. Boutique resorts tend to cost more than the giant AIs.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Can you give us an idea of a nightly budget, whether that includes meals & drinks or is for room only, and what time of year you want to travel?

When you say "hut" with "modern amenities", what do you mean specifically? Air conditioning? Screened windows? Ceiling fan? Marble bathtubs? Or just a comfortable place to sleep when you're not on the beach?

Galley Bay on Antigua is an AI with very nice rooms directly on the beach, but the price is high here. Hawksbill Beach resort, also on Antigua, has a few free-standing hut like cottages on a beach, and they're less expensive than Galley Bay.

Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada, also an AI, has some rooms directly opening on to the sand.

Long Bay Resort on Tortola has a few rooms on stilts or platforms right on the beach with a private hammock. Most reviews claim the rooms are a bit rundown, but they should certainly provide modest comforts.

It might be hard to find one place that has all you're looking for--directly on the beach, cottage or hut-like room rather than being part of a building complex, modern ameneties, and a moderate price range.

Negril, Jamaica, for example, has lots of small boutique hotels on the beach, but I don't think many of them have rooms directly on the beach. You may be a very short walk from the beach. Check out Idle Awhile as a good example. Or there are boutique hotels on the cliffs in Jamaica where you're perched right above the water but there's no beach. Check out Rockhouse or Tensing Pen for good examples.

Give us a little more info and we can help you.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM

I'm going to try to redeem myself here, since I was the *wise a..* who mocked your screen name.

I'm not sure how you feel about Jamaica, but there are many properties in Negril that might fit for you. Idle Awhile and Coco la Palm have great fans here.

When you say "hut", it brings to mind Meridian Club in T & C.

Another thought is Anguilla...but the more moderate places. Rendezvous Bay Hotel, Anguilla Great House or any of the properties on Shoal Bay.

I hope this helps.

Marion

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I was typing while all the truly wise ones were posting

James, my dear, you've received great advice.

Marion
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Long Bay Beach resort on Tortola has beach front bungalows - decent snorkeling right off them, restaurant on premise and options for exploration not far. Sand in your toes as you leave your beachfront place - others up the hill. Nice pool, spa, tennis. All the bells and whistles but small scale. The chickens around your table at breakfast were really funny! We loved Tortola - three great beaches to visit and snorkel just minutes from us. Sopers Hole is a cool sailing port. I've heard service at LBBR wasn't the best last year, hopefully they got it together since then.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM

http://www.islandinns.com/70b.html

I've never stayed at LaLuna but it's on my 'wishlist', Not inexpensive though. When are you traveling as it has been pointed out this does make a difference to the price?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

On anguilla look at Ku'--Old Shoal bay Beach Hotel which has been completely renovated and is lovely. One bedroom suites with kitchens which will help hold down the costs. Believe the web site is www.Kuanguilla.com
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:40 AM

On Bequia, I would consider the Plantation House at the top end of the range, but still not $600 a night), Kingsville Apartments (actually cottages across the road from one of the best beaches on the island) would be in the moderate price range, and Low Bay Guest House at the budget end.

Food prices in the islands are high if you insist on sticking to your 'home' diet...switch to chicken, fish, rice, local vegetables and fruit, local dishes such as roti, saltfish bakes, etc., and you will find the costs not too bad at all.

A moderately priced resort on Barbados - and very good value - is Peach and Quiet. It is right on the water but does not have a beach - the shoreline is rocky. However it does have a pretty pool and an artifical snorkelling lagoon built out into the ocean. It is a 5-10 minute drive from Miami Beach, also one of my favourites .

If you can afford it, think of staying at Little Arches, which is just across the road from Miami beach.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:40 AM

oops - I missed the reference to "modern amenities of course" - if that includes AC, cable TV etc, strike Low Bay Guest House off the list.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Check out Beachcomber in Antigua. Small beachfront property. Very moderately priced. Always clean. On site restaurant with GREAT chefs. Fantastic location.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM

http://www.marysboon.com/
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Lots of beach front cabana type accomodations in Tulum, Mexico. Some not much more than some walls and a roof. Most with concrete floors, mosquito netting, windows, and electricity for a few hours per day. MOst have hot water. Only one or two have airconditioning. No TV at any of them that I know of. Most escaped Hurricane Wilma relatively unscathed.
None of these are resorts, most are about 10 rooms. There are some wonderful restaurants along this strip as well.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM

not the caribbean but..Bemuda..9Beaches check the site www.9beaches.com, they have the accomodations you're looking for...only problem, bemuda is not an island to go to in winter( you never did say what time of yr you are thinking of)..just thought i'd throw it out.my favorite "on the beach" is Sandcastles on Jost Van Dyke,BVI..nice cottages, best (infamous)bar, The Soggy Dollar and a dinner menu that tops any 5star restaurant !!this is a small "resort"..no tv/ac/pool but to me heaven !!! only 6 cottages, so can be difficult to get in/very big on repeats who book for the next yr before they check out...but not impossible for newbies.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
anonxx

Check out Grand Cayman. The London House on 7MB is great, if it has reopended post-Ivan. Also, check out the Reef Resort on the East End in Grand Cayman. Both excellent. At the Reef Resort all rooms/condo's are beach front on a very nice uncroweded beach with excellent snorkeling.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 03:30 PM

Any info on the 9beaches property in Bermuda would be appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -