Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Dominican Republic: what to pack for early February?

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

I've looked at websites, and I see mid-80s daytime weather and high 60s nighttime.

Having never been there, I'm curious about the humidity. Is that a really hot 85, in other words, or are there good, cooling ocean breezes? Will I need much of a jacket, or sweater?

I'm hoping that crop pants and capris will do for day-time, since I don't wear shorts and skirts. Am assuming t-tops, cotton shirts, etc.

I will be staying 8 nights on the southeastern coast, near the town of La Romana.

Thanks for answering my dumb questions!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM

There is more wind on the north coast, but you will probably have some breezes. But it's always kind of humid in the DR. Dress light (capris and T-shirts during the day are fine). You might want to bring a cover-up for the evening, especially if you will be indoors, but I just don't think you'll need it outside, though it really depends on the weather. If it's really in the 60s then you'll probably want at least long sleeves at night outside. Bring a hat because the sun can be really strong.

But it's the Caribbean ... warm during the day and mostly warm at night unless it's cloudy or raining.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug. It's showing rain this week, with the temps I mentioned above. I wonder if it's like Hawaii rain, which comes and goes each day, or downpours? Do you know?
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:55 AM

It really depends. If a tropical front moves through, you can have sustained, heavy rain. This happened in Jamaica around Christmas. And it happens in the DR as well. I was once in Hawaii during a week in June when it rained every single day on Oahu. On Maui, where I was staying in Kihei, it was spotty rain; we had one wash-out but the rest of the time it was on and off; Oahu had floods.

Forecasts in the Caribbean often show rain every day, but usually, rain is limited and much more spotty ... often limited to the late afternoon or evening hours.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Doug!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:05 AM

I live in Bayahibe, 20 minutes from La Romana. The weather forecast always shows rain, so don't believe it much. We had couple showers a day during the past few weeks, most of them only at night, during the day nice and sunny. I wear long pants, sleeve shirts at night , during the day t-shirts, tank tops, capris. At evenings I would suggest a light sweater or a jacket. The humidity is not hight at this time of the year, it is much higher in the summer. Right now it's 60.
Right now at 3PM is sunny, 27C / 80.5F (indoor), with light wind. The weather is completely different here on the south then on the norths coast as Doug was saying.
Contact me if you have any questions about the area, I've been here for more then 2 years (previously 2 years on the north coast)
Denise
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Denise, thank you so much for such a complete and helpful answer. I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear that capris are good in the daytime. Also glad to hear the humidity might not be as bad as I'm expecting. Maybe my wavy hair won't go completely whacko! My friend's business is a jewelry shop, Everett Designs, in the artists' village of Altos de Chavon. So I am lucky to have locals to show me around. Can't wait to see the DR.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM

PeaceOut,
have fun and enjoy your vacation! In case you come to Bayahibe, about 20 minute drive from Altos de Chavon, go to El Cafecito de la Cubana, the best restaurant here (closed on Tuesdays). And then asked them about me, they can call me or I might be close by. I live 2 minutes from the beach and the restaurant, se we can have a coffee together
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

You got a deal. I won't have a car, so will be just riding along with my friends. You never know where we'll end up! I'll bring this info. just in case. Thanks again!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

I loved the Dominican Republic: the people, the beauty, the history. An awesome vacation. I'll write a trip report and post it separately. (The weather all 8 days was perfect-- not too hot or humid. Lovely.)