Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico or Aruba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/dominican-republic-puerto-rico-or-aruba-937449/)

Kim_Hansen Jun 2nd, 2012 05:55 AM

Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico or Aruba

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary next February. We want to use our timeshare points and they have resorts in Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Aruba. We like to snorkel, golf, beaches, good food. What would be a good choice?

diann24 Jun 2nd, 2012 08:31 AM

Out of the 3 Aruba hands down. Aruba has the best restaurants,clean, friendly people, and a very safe island. I love Aruba we have a timehsare there and I have been to many islands and this is my favorite one no question about it. choose aruba I am sure you will not be dissapointed. Snorkeling is ok there is a place called Baby Beach where the snorkeling is pretty good.

KVR Jun 2nd, 2012 11:18 AM

Of those 3, I would go with Aruba also.

ArubaAmy Jun 6th, 2012 07:58 AM

Another vote for Aruba for great beaches and restaurants. There are 2 golf courses in Aruba (an 18 and a 9 hole) and plenty of snorkeling excusrions to choose from.

juliae_mei Jun 6th, 2012 08:08 AM

Another vote for Aruba.... It is windy there, but the buildings in Oranjestad are like gingerbread houses painted in pastel colors, the sideways-standing divi divi trees are great. Hotels and restaurants are nice. Puerto Rico is my second choice, especially out of the main city in San Juan. Look at the hotels just out of town or down in the southeast corner of Puerto Rico, those places sound like an excellent alternative for you. San Juan has the Old San Juan and that is a lovely experience with great restaurants, good culture and history. Puerto Rico has beautiful white sand beaches, but overall, Aruba sounds like the best match for you.

Best Regards,
Julia

BellaClaire Jun 9th, 2012 03:39 PM

Time share - Aruba for sure..no question!

Pual Jun 10th, 2012 04:28 PM

My vote Dominican Republic had a great time on my wife and i 5th anniversary friend told me about a small company Isaactours.com and booked and stayed in a small town Rio San Juan (Villa) great time.
good luck

doug_stallings Jun 11th, 2012 04:59 AM

Depending on where the time-share resort is, the DR can be much better for golf than any of the other islands, but if you want both good food and great beaches, Aruba and Puerto Rico are your best choices. There are a few places in Puerto Rico that have time-shares, but I think the hotel options in Aruba are much much better ... unless you want an AI resort experience, then it's the DR.

I don't think there's a clear winner over all. It really depends on which things you value the most.

diann24 Jun 13th, 2012 01:41 PM

I was in the Punta Cana area perhaps about 13 years ago. I am sure it has changed quite a bit since then and built up. At that time you were very confined to the resort. There is also a web site debbiesdominican.com that give a lot of info on various resorts in the DR

Aruba also has some great golf courses, Divi Links, That is where I am staying in 2 days.(who's counting) There is also another huge one on the way to the lighthouse. I cannot remember the name of it right now. But golf is doable in Aruba as well.

jacketwatch Jul 28th, 2015 03:42 PM

For what you want and especially for the one with the highest standard of living which equates to cleanliness, low crime and a feel good atmosphere it is Aruba for sure.

schmerl Jul 29th, 2015 03:28 AM

It also depends on what you are looking for. Aruba is a desert island and is quite Americanized. No lush greenery or Caribbean feel. Puerto Rico gives you good beaches, golf, good restaurants, AND the Caribbean feel.

tom42 Jul 29th, 2015 06:09 AM

The OP is now working on her 28th anniversary. I wonder what she ultimately decided on three years ago.