Wedding in Anguilla - Weather?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get married at Cap Juluca in November '04. Should we be worried about hurricane season in early Nov? Any other advice/opinions on Cap Juluca would be great too. Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM

My girlfriend went there on her honeymoon and my other girlfriend went there last year....they both absolutely loved it!! They couldn't stop talking about it and how beautiful, secluded and peaceful it was.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Hurricane season runs from June 1 thru November 30, so you will be arriving during that time. However, the peak of our hurricane season in our area is usually late August/early September.

That's not to say we haven't had storms in July, or November, but I think you would have to worry more if you were planning your nuptials in August or September.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Well, I don't at all want to put a downer on your plans, but we spent our honeymoon last November (the 9th - 18th) at Cap Juluca. While the resort and its grounds were beautiful (which is WHY we selected Anguilla and more specifically, Cap) we didn't get to enjoy but a few hours of it. Out of 8 days we spent there, the LAST day (the day we left) was the only day the sun was shining and we saw blue skies. Literally, our family thought it was so funny that we 'lived' the Kokdak commercial. Please don't get me wrong--the room was great, the view was great (when we weren't dealing with the torrential downpours) and the beach is TO DIE FOR!, but all in all--at that time--, we could've had the same experience in Cancun for 1/3 of the price.

I just want to put this warning out there, because, unfortunately, no one did before my honeymoon. I really thought Anguilla never experienced that kind of rain. Even the locals came out of there homes and aplogized for the unusual weather.

A mass exodus ensued at cap. We were among the honeymooners that stayed and I believe the staff really appreciated it. It was a great experience and of course I wouldn't change a thing...I just wish I had known during my research that this kind of weather was in fact a possibility.

Stace99
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:09 AM

No one can second guess the weather. I have danced around hurricanes in September- October in Bermuda for many years. We even had hurricane Karen form over us in Bermuda one mid October. We travel to the caribbean sometimes in March, April, November and January. We were at CJ this past November at the tail end of a nameless tropical depression that just sat over most of the leeward islands. Yet, this is unusual. The peak of the season is mid September, most of the hotels on Anguilla close Sept to the end or middle of October. Would I go again in November, probably as I love the island that time of year, and I do believe a less of a risk!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Stace99's message needs greater play here. There is always debate at this website about how often hurricanes hit or don't hit this island or that...about how Aruba never sees hurricanes (not true) or how they're only in Aug-Sept. But big storms (which can take days to completely blow past) can ruin a beach vacation just the same as a hurricane can.
So a better measure of vacation risk may actually be number of cloudcovered/rainy days during July-November.
Not to say that November and July vacations are high risk in the mid-Caribbean--they're not. But it's not as simple as just looking at number of hurricanes making landfall, either.

That's why room rates drop July-November.