Search

Dominica for a honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dominica for a honeymoon

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I would like to go to the British Virgin Islands for our honeymoon, and one of the places we are considering visiting is Dominica.

Can those who have traveled there recommned where to stay, provide information on what the weather is like at the end of June, (are there alot of mosquites), what to do, etc.

Also, what other islands would you recommmend. We'd like to go to Dominica for someplace low key, but would also like to go to an island with more of a nightlife as well.

Thanks!

Lucy
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Well, I can't help you with info on Dominica, other than I think I'd like to visit one day. But I can tell you that while it may be part of the British West Indies, it is definitely not part of the British Virgin Islands. If you would like to try the BVI, Tortola would be a good place for you and your fiance to start--from there you can daytrip to Jost, Virgin Gorda, Anegada or the smaller islands and it offers more opportunities for nightlife than the others. Which is not to say it specializes in the nightlife--far from it.

May, June, and November are my favorite times to visit the Caribbean--you generally get nice weather combined with lower season rates. Mosquitos will depend on how much rain an area receives--they're always worse immediately after a rainfall.

If you can be a bit more specific about what you're looking for, we'll all jump in with plenty of suggestions.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dominica is a small, VERY poor island. It is beautiful and lush as most of it is a rain forest. There are mo wonderful beaches and not much to do there. It makes a good one or two day stop to explore the eco system. Not much in the way of night life.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Sunnyboy

If you are looking for an eco-tourist destination Dominica will fill that bill but it is not high on the list of places most people would visit for a honeymoon. It lacks good beaches, there are no fine resorts and not a lot of activities other than hiking through the rain forests. If this is you first visit to the Caribbean, Dominica is not the place to go.

As ejcrowe pointed out Dominica is not part of the BVI's. If you want to go to the BVI's stick to Tortola or Virgin Gorda. I prefer the latter as it is more "low key" then Tortola (but Tortola is a pretty laid back island itself).

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I've heard Sugar Mill Hotel on Tortola, BVI is a great honeymoon destination.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Dominica is a magnificant island if you are into outdoors and nature. We really liked it
See www.tabhauser.com and click Dominica.
Remember, your hotels are limited and perhaps not as romantic as other islands
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Over 20 years ago we visited Dominica, St. Lucia, US Virgin Islands, and some others. Of all these places, Dominica made the most lasting impression, and I remember it with the most vivid clarity. At that time a good portion of the island was undeveloped rainforest and it was an adventure getting a ride in the back of somebody's truck to explore it! (Hubby the biologist was in heaven.)

We stayed in a moderate hotel on the coast with no beach.

The people were strikingly memorable...I found them to be very friendly to us, and the families we met seemed happy and content, though I suppose you could call them poor, they didn't seem unhappy. Except the young men were a bit restless, wishing for greater opportunities. On one of our hikes we were invited into someone's home for lunch! They seemed delighted to have visitors so we couldn't refuse. Their floor was the earth, and they served us vegies and meat. We ate the vegies and politely declined the meat (didnt' see any refrigeration.) Another time we passed some women carrying laundry on their heads. We offered them a ride, at that time we had a car for the day, and it was delightful meeting them. I will never forget the quality of their smiles. This was 20 years ago, but I don't think they had gotten enough tourists to be sick of them yet!

Someday maybe I will return to Dominica and see if anything has changed.