Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Does Verizon work? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/does-verizon-work-680169/)

peacheysmokey Feb 15th, 2007 03:53 PM

Does Verizon work?

My daughter will be finding out about which colleges she was admitted to while my husband and I will be in Nassau. Will my Verizon cell phone work?

Also, what is the best way to get to Cable Beach from the airport? Just a taxi?

eaf2007 Feb 17th, 2007 09:56 AM

Unless you have an internationally enabled phone, no, your American cell phone will not work in the Bahamas. A taxi is your best bet for transportation and should be $15-20 from the airport to Cable Beach.

CaribbeanSoul Feb 17th, 2007 01:05 PM

My parents had service on their Sprint phone while in port at Nassaue this past week. It was a pretty weak signal with fading in and out. But we were able to have a short conversation. Your best bet may be internet/email on island.

jlillberto Feb 18th, 2007 04:24 AM

If you really want to know why don't you just pick up the phone and find out. Pretty simple.

al Jan 14th, 2008 09:38 AM

I was just there about a month ago and yes, my phone worked. It's a Motorola Razr.

Not sure what Verizon has to do on their end (if anything), but call them and ask if the phone you have will work in the Bahamas. If they say yes, turn it on when you get there and see if you have a signal. If you've got some bars and the screen reads "roaming" it should work. Forget the exact cost but it was something like $1.79 per minute.

Scubagirl Jan 14th, 2008 10:44 AM

Only AT&T and T mobile have contracts for use. Other's may or may not work depending on your service and type of phone.

To work, you'll need a GSM phone with 1900 mhz freqency. Call your provider and ask for International Service.

Service is hit or miss, so don't depend on it. Keep your phone off when not in use, as calls that go back to voice mail are charges as a connected call (they go thru Nassau towers to bounce back)

The rate is $2.29per minute, and AT&T tacks on another $1.25 for those who have cingular phones.

It's best to just get a Batelco Calling card and call home periodically.

As for your airport question. A cab is best. About $15 for 2 ppl.

vinceygirl Jan 14th, 2008 12:14 PM

You need to contact Verizon and let them know you will be needing service. While in the Grenadines last Sept I made the mistake of assuming I would have service with Verizon because the previous year as a Sprint customer I had no problem other than it being expensive. I was wrong Sprint worked Verizon didn't. That's how I found out I needed to activate the service thru Verizon. It will work in USVI and PR

al Jan 14th, 2008 01:57 PM

Exactly. The most important part of this whole thing is that you must call Verizon beforehand. They'll tell you -- yes or no. Don't just go without calling and expect the phone to work because it probably won't.

mymoosie Jan 14th, 2008 02:08 PM

Ok, all good info. But the original post was from last year!

There is not one standard technology used by wireless providers around the world. Providers are constantly upgrading their networks & roaming agreements. Bottom line, call your wireless provider before you go.