Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Does Florida beaches are pretty as Caribbean or not (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/does-florida-beaches-are-pretty-as-caribbean-or-not-239614/)

michael Jul 15th, 2002 05:52 AM

Does Florida beaches are pretty as Caribbean or not

I have been to caribbean but never been to florida such as clearwater, pensacola & naples. If you'be been to florida such as clearwater, penscacola, naples & caribbean, please tell me whether Florida has nicer beach/water then Caribbean.<BR>Thanks.

brad Jul 15th, 2002 06:03 AM

Hi Michael,<BR>Florida does have some very nice beaches namely at Sanibel and Captiva Islands, but I have found that the Caribbean's beaches and water are nicer.

Jerry Jul 15th, 2002 06:15 AM

The best beaches in the Caribbean are better than the best beaches in Florida.<BR>There is tremendous variation within both regions.

lisa Jul 15th, 2002 06:28 AM

We are the ultiumate beach people. Although Fla has some nice beaches, the caribbean has it beat hands down.

beachlover Jul 15th, 2002 06:37 AM

Sanibel and Captiva have some of the nicest beaches in Fla, espically for shelling! Although the beaches in Florida are beautiful they pale in comparison to anything you will find in the Caribbean. IMO you will never find anything like the beauty of the Caribbean beaches and water in Florida.

Steph Jul 15th, 2002 08:59 AM

We were pleasantly surprised at how pretty we thought the beaches in Sanibel/Captiva were. We too had only been to the Caribbean, not Florida and thought we would be disappointed. I really thought Sanibel/Captiva felt very Caribbean. Don't know about the other places you mentioned, but if you're considering Naples, why not just do Sanibel/Captiva instead? I also, however, agree that Caribbean beaches are prettiest.

April Jul 15th, 2002 09:21 AM

The only beaches in Florida that even come close to "most" of the Carribean are at Destin. Granted there are some places in the Carribean that I wouldn't waste my time/money but in general the Carribean has it!!!

Beth Jul 15th, 2002 11:22 AM

Cayman Islands is the best beach I've been to. Naples, Fla. , however, is my favorite city. Beaches are nice in Naples ,but don't compare to the Cayman Islands or Cancun.

Anon Jul 16th, 2002 02:42 AM

Some of the beaches in Florida can not be beat anywhere if you are looking for miles and miles of wide white sand. The most beautiful spots in the Caribbean tend to have mountains which result in short beaches with views of neighboring islands and incredible South Pacific type vistas. Also, the water is warm, calm and generally more clear. I prefer the Caribbean, but Florida does have its own beauty.

Caribbeanlover Jul 16th, 2002 10:05 AM

There's absolutely no comparison between the Caribbean and Florida....agree with the poster who said the Caribbean wins HANDS DOWN!

Suzanne Jul 21st, 2002 11:09 AM

I live in Panama City Florida, which is near Destin. The beaches here are wonderful the enless white sands and sunset over the gulf are to die for. And for the money it wins. BUT I have been to most of the islands in the Carribbean the clear blue water beats us hands down, but you pay for it. Actually I am going to the Caymans in a couple of months (it is beautiful). I wish I could find someone to do a house swap so I could go more often. I live on the bay here its beautiful but also nice to try thing that are different. If you have the money I'd go to the Carribean.

LORRIE Jul 21st, 2002 03:13 PM

THE BEACH ON SANIBEL AND ITS SISTER ISLAND CAPTIVIA ON THE WEST PART OF FLORIDA ARE BEAUTIFUL.

denette Jul 22nd, 2002 10:15 AM

Michael,<BR>I am lucky lady married to a native Floridian(29 yrs.) from the panhandle area of Florida(Pensacola - St. Joseph Peninsula) but we live in Tennessee. As you can imagine we have been home more times than we can count, and we have just bought a vacation house down there, but as much as I LOVE the area, it does not compare to the many beaches and the water quality/clarity of the Caribbean. It is though in my opinion the prettiest beaches in all of Florida, the best you can get, but We go somewhere in the Caribbean every chance we can get.

Sant Jul 22nd, 2002 10:48 AM

I agree with April. The beaches at or near Destin/Seaside come close to those of the Carribean. The food and lodging is cheaper than in the Caribbean, by far. In absolute terms the Caribbean is nicer, but in terms of value, the Destin area wins in my opinion.