COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Does Aruba import it's red meat from Europe?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Wondering

Does Aruba import it's red meat from Europe?

I'm curious for obvious reasons. Thanks for any information.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Anon

You don't see many dogs or horses in Aruba do you?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Wondering

Would someone who has already graduated from high school please share their information. It's our first visit to Aruba.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 01:22 PM
cow

Don't know where they get thier meet from, but if you're worried about Foot & Mouth Disease, it does not affect humans, just livestock. (that is my understanding anyway!)

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Curious

I think this is referring to Mad Cow disease, not Hoof and Mouth disease. Mad Cow can be transmitted to humans.

Does anyone know?

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 03:37 AM
joan

Your question reminds me of a funny Aruba memory. Don't know if this will translate into written well, but here goes:

My whole family was eating dinner at Boonoonoonoos restaurant. (Yes, that's the correct spelling - and you must go there if it's still there - very delicious). We were a group of ten and had been out in our rental van all day touring (and getting lost in) the countryside. There were goats everywhere. Imagine the bleating sound they make. At dinner that night, my brother announced to the waiter: "I'll have the be-e-e-e-e-e-e-f" Imagine the word beef prounounced with a definite goat-like bleat in it. It was so funny. Unfortunately, the beef wasn't. Tough and string (kind of like...goat!)

Moral of the story: when in the islands, stick to fish and goat. It's what they do best!

Happy travels!
Joan

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:54 AM
paula

Meat in Aruba is not exactly their specialty...you might want to try their seafood specialties better. I think they import the meat from Venezuela which is the nearest country, and since I live in Venezuela, I can tell you we have absolutely no problems with the meat..
Forget about the whole meat business and just go and have fun in Aruba. I have been there more than five times and I just love it...!! The beaches are spectacular!!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:49 AM
Anon

There is a shortage of cats too.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:35 AM
Sooooz

Wondering,

I've read on the other Aruba BBs that the predominance of their beef comes from the US and Argentina. Many restaurants that get their beef from Argentina (such as El Gaucho) have temporarily changed their suppliers to US-based. If you go to either www.visitaruba.com or www.aruba-bb.com you'll get much more extensive answers.

Hope that helps.

Sooooz

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:59 AM
anon

I can't believe that people panic about the thought of not being able to eat a steak! How long are you going for? A week? Geez! Take the other post's advice and stick with fish and goat.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
lib

I can't believe people have to be so rude. I came to this board because the where2stay board was becoming so juvenile. Why do they waste their time posting if they have nothing to contribute to the forum.

The original poster had a legitimate question. When I made my first trip to Aruba I went all inclusive and several nights were theme nights. One night was caribbean barbecue night and they served ribs, steaks, brisket, etc. Had the current mad cow issue been in existence, I think everyone would have had the same question.