Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Does anyone know what happened to Casa del Mar? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/does-anyone-know-what-happened-to-casa-del-mar-201964/)

Karin Jan 25th, 2003 11:21 AM

Does anyone know what happened to Casa del Mar?

I checked the AMHSAmarina.com website, and Casa del Mar is no longer listed as one of their resorts. I went there last August and had one of the best vacations ever. I've read negative reviews about that resort, but everything was wonderful during our trip. I'd like to travel there again, but I want to make sure it's not under new management. <BR>There's no information on Debbie's website about any ownership change.<BR>Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Parrot Mom Jan 25th, 2003 02:48 PM

We were there last February for the second time and I found it quite disappointing. I understand from several excellent sources that it was sold to Apple as of 1/1/03..to be hopefully upgraded as successfully as they did to the new Sunscape in Punta Cana. If you will write me I'd be glad to give you more info

newsygal Feb 12th, 2003 11:42 AM

To Parrot Mom:<BR><BR>I checked with my travel agent and what you said is true. She also told me not to worry, the resort will remain the same, possibly with some improvements. She also said a new beach bar and washrooms have already been added and the menus upgraded at the a la carte restaurants. What is your take on the resort?

jackflack Feb 12th, 2003 12:39 PM

Karin, the debbies board has several new reviews on Casa Del Mar that look good? I am sure between now and when you travel again you will get the scoop.<BR><BR>I was just there in October and had a very nice time...

Marn Feb 14th, 2003 07:21 PM

My friend just got back from Casa del Mar on Sunday and he had an amazing time. He did say that it has just changed management but I'm not sure who.

ParrotMom Feb 17th, 2003 03:26 AM

Just returned from Sunscape...and had the most incredible vacaton ever...they as I mentioned earlier have taken over CDM and I would not hesitate to book CDM right now.. They are bringing the Sunscape concept to CDM and although I haven't written my review yet...I can tell you that theconcept is unbelievable...never haver I seen the things that they do....NEVER. We had a long conversation with the Food and Beverage Manager Johnny Mendez and he says they will bring the same quality to CDM... I just can't stop raviing about what management has done and does...If you have questions please write me [email protected] Pictures will be available and a review probably withn the week...I've come home with a head cold...

ronnie_62 Mar 30th, 2003 08:35 AM

When I was looking for prices on the AAvacations website, they have a little note attached that states, &quot;As of November 1, Casa Del Mar will be renamed 'Secrets Casa de Campo'.&quot; The price has risen for this resort as well.<BR>

ParrotMom Mar 30th, 2003 11:09 AM

Secrets Casa de Campo....I can't imagine the place having that name..There already is a Casa de Campo...and the name Sunscape would probably be part of the name. From the reviews on Debbies Dominican site many improvements have taken place already and I expect by next winter it should have the reputation that it deserves thanks to Rod and his crew. This was one case when I had access to info even the travel agents didn't have..lol BTW there is a Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana which as you know is &quot;adults only&quot; I do not know if it's affiliate with Sunscape though. Wonder if they will make CDM into an &quot;adults only&quot;