Do I need travel insurance?

Jul 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Do I need travel insurance?

I have my vacation booked for this October to the USVIs. Eeek - I know hurricane season! While I do have the trip booked through a travel agent (Liberty Travel) and they include a travel protection plan - my question is do I need to purchase travel insurance? (like for trip interruption due to weather) In the past I have always purchased it, but now I am wondering if with this travel protection plan (included in the cost of the trip) - is it really necessary? Thanks in advance - Susan
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I would make sure you fully understand whats covered and whats not in the plan that you have. If it doesn't cover bad weather, then I'd get it for sure. Better to be safe than sorry during the risky months...
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Have you checked with Liberty and what their insurance covers? I think it may cover trip interuption. But not trip cancellation due to weather. I had a trip to the Dominican booked with them last Oct and then Jeanne hit the Dominican a week and a half before we were to leave. We did not have the insurance with them but were able to switch our trip to Aruba. Just so you know you do not have to get their insurance. I usually buy insurance from travel Guard. But I dont think anyone will let you cancel due to weather unless the airports and/ or hotel are actually closed. But check with your Liberty agent on what is covered.
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM
OT

In addition to questions raised by other posters -

Are you covered for medical situations incl. transport back to home country?

Are you covered for lost/delayed luggage?

Jul 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

I did check and they do cover the trip if its interrupted but only if the airports are closed. But I think other policies have the same thing. Not sure about the missing luggage, etc. -Susan
Jul 14th, 2005, 04:19 AM

And I always thought your luggage is insured with airlines. Isn't this like paying twice for the same thing?
Jul 14th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Airline liabilities for luggage on intl routes incl. Caribbean is restricted to an infinitesimally small pay-back amount per bag -- and a Gordian knot of hassles. If your luggage alone is pricey, let alone the contents, check your homeowners' policy for possessions FIRST. Most likely, you]ll want to purchase extra coverage for what the REAL/REPLACEABLE TODAY value of luggage and contents are, not the airlines' low-ball standard.
Jul 14th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I think I will go ahead with the travel insurance. I have purchased the travel insurance in the past and never had to use it but I have a feeling if I don't this time, I will wish I had. Thanks everyone for your input - Susan
Jul 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM
OT

Perhaps this is not important for US citizens, but for us Europeans Medical Insurance is an absolute must. The cost of hospitalisation and medical transportation back to home country can run into $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I would check what your medical insurance covers too.
Jul 14th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Good point, esp. when travelling with children. In UK, www.campbellirvine.com and globally www.travelguard.com also offer temporary medical insurance/airlift coverage -- which is generally NOT covered in most insurance/healthcare policies.

Search this Thread