Do all Aruba hotels have hidden fees?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a Trip to Aruba in January with another couple. Upon booking the Holiday Inn, we are told their will be a 13% fee per person per night and $5.95 per room, per night charge by the hotel. (assuming at the end of our stay). Has anyone encountered the same problem?
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
WWK

Unfortunately most- if not all- hotels seem to have government taxes added onto the room rate, plus a resort fee. To give you an idea, my MIL just booked at Westin Aruba, and taxis and fees per room came to over $54/night.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 12:40 AM

I don't perceive this as a problem because it is not a hidden fee. If it was hidden, you wouldn't know about it. It's like booking a hotel in the US and having to add the government tax to the room rate or buying anything in the US, it's mostly all without tax.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 04:52 AM

Our travel agent includes all taxes and service charges (21%-23% depending upon the resort) in their quoted price. I believe if you book directly with the resort as well as some online booking sites, you may encounter this issue.

Marriott was recently advertising $189 per night. You can go to the Ritz Carlton site and they have rooms as cheap as $449 per night. Add on the taxes and service charges and it was over $550 a night.

The government did impose a new environmental levy, I believe $3/day, which has been a surprise to some.
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM

It is my understanding that even timeshare people will be paying an additional tax this year that went into affect. We will soon find out when we go in February. Our timeshare which is Divi sent out a notice pertaining to an additional fee.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 03:14 AM

Were the fees disclosed before you confirmed your reservation? If so then I don't consider them hidden. It's been our experience that most islands charge at least 10% tax and the resorts tack on another 10% "resort fee." Some islands also add an additional nightly tax for something, be it a fuel or water surcharge or other environmental fee. We often stay at upscale properties so this can add quite a bit to the final price of the room. But I also understand you weren't expecting it. I'm sorry about that. But it's really not unusual at all.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They aren't hidden if you know about them. But echoing others here - most resorts have a resort fee and many countries/cities impose a room tax.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 06:14 AM
KVR

I noticed recently also that many hotels everywhere are including a "resort fee", which is just ridiculous. Don't call it a resort fee and tack it on the end of the bill, just add it into the overall cost of the room and be done with it. People don't think they are getting a good deal if you tack on extra fees to end of the stay and it basically just makes them upset. If it's included as part of the overall price, no one is the wiser and it won't matter. They can chose at that time if they are willing to spend that amount or look somewhere else.

I saw this when we went to New Orleans, Fredericksburgs, Las Vegas and researching Puerto Rico.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 07:23 AM

The fees are government required!"Electric and water useage"for example, a studio may be $68 a week, a 1 bdr may be $98 a week.The amount is not outrageous!yes it"s extra, and different than what your use to. Every one does it! Most just don't show you the cost!!!Don't let something so silly stop you from this bit of heaven.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it truly a hidden fee (like a "resort fee")?

Or it's a legit government imposed room tax (I know in Mexico this is ~18% added on to rates).