Honeymoon Help - St Lucia or St John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, OK, I know these are two very different islands. I am planning a two week honeymoon for August 2005. Does one of these islands have better weather being that its hurrican season? The way we see it, St Johns can't be beaten for the beaches, but St Lucia can't be beaten for the price/comforts of the lodging as well as the tropical surroundings. If we go to St Lucia, we plan on spending a week at the WindJammer and a week at Anse Chastanet (So people recommend the Hilton over Anse?). I have heard mixed reviews of the beaches at St Lucia - what do you think about the beaches at Anse? If we go to St Johns, we will probably spend a week at Caneel Bay and a week somewhere else (any help here?). I can get a package for Caneel Bay for 7 nights, including breakfast and dinner for $3,300. I have heard the resort's surroundings are great but the service is so so.

For a little background, we are from Seattle, we are 27 years old and we are looking to spend 2 weeks, at hopefully around $8,000 (lodging and meals - airfare is free due to miles). We are mostly interest in post-wedding relaxation and sun and will not be too concerned with filling our days with sightseeing.

Any advice people can give would be great, either on the two places mentioned above, or if you think there is a jewel I overlooked.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM

Both islands are great! IMO, the beaches are better in St. John. But, St Lucia is much more tropical.

That's a tough choice. You can get around the island a little easier in St. John, but if you're not planning on leaving your resort that won't matter.

You've also picked the best resorts on the islands. I would go back to any of the resorts or either of the islands anytime.

The people are friendly on both islands. But, if you've never traveled into the caribbean, you may feel more comfortable on St. Johns.

If you are able to go for two weeks, the travel time may not make a difference to you.

If you choose St. John's, you can spend a second week in Virgin Gorda, Tortolla, or any of the British Virgin islands. Or, you could take a 1 or 2 day sail around the islands.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good feedback. I guess our big drawback to St Lucia is that it seems difficult to go into town for dinner (we enjoy going out to eat and don't want to eat at the resort for two weeks). Is it very difficult to go into to tow for dinner. I am assuming it is at Anse, how about WindJammer?

As with any decision, the more you research, the more difficult the choice becomes. It has been suggested that I don't rule out Anguilla and Antigua.... Any thoughts?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:08 AM

Hi There,

If you are staying at AC it would be very tough to go out for dinner in the evening. STL, unlike STJ does not have a great variety of good restaurants even in Castries itself. From my experience, some of the better ones on STL would probably not last long on STJ. This is much of the reason why the A/I is so popular on STL and not popular on STJ.

As for beaches, there is no comparison. The picture-postacrd type beaches you see in magazines are found in the VI, STL has darker sand. What little white sand is found on STL is shipped in from T&T for the resorts.

People were raving about the great snorkeling at AC when we were there, but from my experience it didn't compare to any of the beaches on STJ.

STL is a great place to visit. Totally different kind of experience from STJ. But if you are looking for great beaches and restaurants, STJ offers more.

Schultz
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

If we were to go the St Johns route, where would you recommend we stay for the second week. We can't affor Caneel Bay for the other week and would be looking for a nice place for less than $250 a night. We are open to any of the USVI or BVI, but don't want to be totally secluded. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM

I have been both places: St John 7/03, St Lucia 3/04; and I will be going on my honeymoon in October. St Lucia is beautiful, and Chastanet is a great location. I stayed the next beach down at the Hilton. The major consideration for me when choosing my honeymoon spot was the beach. Although the Chastanet beach is quite interesting if you're not used to seeing black sand beaches, I don't think it compares to stj beaches. This is why I'm choosing Caneel for 5 days, then heading over to Peter Island for 8 days. With so many interesting snorkeling spots in around the small islands of the US/BVI: I considered I might want to do a bit of day tripping. St Johns also has great restaurants in Cruz Bay. You won?t really find this on STL near Chastanet, and after visiting Windjammer I would not recommend that for a honeymoon (very family oriented) I will say, since you do not need airfare, the$8,000 budget might get it done. We are paying comparable rates and we went deluxe beachfront at both resorts. Wherever you choose, both are beautiful-Good Luck.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:41 AM

Hi Tyler, I highly recommend St. John (no s) and think it would be a great honeymoon to spend a week at Caneel Bay and then consider an island in the BVI's for the other part of your trip. Caneel is expensive, but STJ is not to be missed for beautiful beaches & excellent snorkling. We have no trouble kicking back on STJ for two weeks, but we typically rent a villa which is more cost effective. Caneel is a great choice for the kind of pampered feeling I'd want on my honeymoon! Cruz Bay does have it's share of good restaurants, and there's lots of island to explore by day. Haven't been to STL, but think for a two week trip the USVI/BVI combo could be fantastic! Congratulations! Trish
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:11 AM

I have been to both and would choose St John over St Lucia in a minute. Stayed at AC (won the trip) and it was nice but there were too many things I didn't like. The road into the resort was horrible so we only ventured out once. The beach is nice but you had to go down to the beach before breakfast to grab lounge chairs. (Let me tell you those stairs are a killer and having to do them twice was NOT fun!) I also didn't like the black sand beach because it got so hot you couldn't walk on it. I like to go bearfoot on a beach and not HAVE to wear sandals.

The other big horrible thing is that we went in July and AC is an open concept resort. That said, my husband (plus another guest we saw) had over a hundred mosquito bites each. When we got home, people thought he had gone to the Amazon for vacation. There's something wrong about having to spray yourself head to toe in Deet before you go for dinner. He had to shower after a day at the beach and then again before bed.

AC is a beautiful resort and may be better when it's not the summer, but my choice would be STJ. Been there twice and love it!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Are there any additional places to stay that you recommend in either the USVI or the BVI?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Ike

My wife and I visited Caneel Bay two years ago and we won't be going back.....just got back from FS Costa Rica and had a great time......St. John is nice place but not Caneel Bay....it looks tired and the service is nothing to write home about or the food either.....I think we were there 2/3 nights and left early for RC at St. Thomas.........
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM

tyler, are you definitely looking for a resort setting, or open to alternate lodging options? STJ only has two resorts Caneel Bay & Westin. Although I don't opt to stay at resorts on STJ, there are many reviews of both on this board. You can do a search and read opinions other than just the previous poster's remarks. If you consider other than resorts on STJ, Gallows Point is a very nice option.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

I've heard very mixed reviews of Caneel Bay.

Being that its our honeymoon, we like the idea of being pampered a little. Normally on vacations we tend to stay at rental vacation home and the like, but we feel for this one, we would like someone else to bring us our drinks... Where do you normally stay on St Johns? Is Gallow Point on/near a beach?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM

because most of STJ's terrain is very hilly (it's volcanic after all) very few accomodations are right on the water. Caneel Bay is the only place with it's own nice beaches. Westin has a man-made beach but it's right on the marina, which is less than desirable. Gallows Point is right on the water in Cruz Bay, but no beach. On STJ we personally prefer to stay in a quieter area of the island in Estate Concordia, on the south side near Salt Pond Bay. This area has fewer restaurants & less activity. We rent a small cottage. It really depends on what you're going for. I know there are many villas that could fit the bill for you in terms of being luxurious. Some with plunge pools & jacuzzis, etc. You'd just have to go out for meals etc, which seems like a pain for honeymoon. Some folks swear by Caneel. It does have beautiful beaches, and it's the better of the two resorts on the island.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:24 PM

I absolutely love St. John. If you have 2 weeks and $8000 to spend I would split up some time between Caneel Bay and Little Dix (on Virgin Gorda in the BVI), or even Peter Island. Make sure you go out on some of the day trips to the BVI. There are some gorgeous spots not to miss down there. You may also want to rent a Jeep and explore STJ - it's truly fabulous.

Maybe we'll see you there! We're hoping to get married on STJ next July/August.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 11:33 AM

I would absolutely choose St. John. Call it the "island of everything" especially if you are comparing it to St. Lucia. It's paradise. The diving and other water sports are better there as well as the opportunity to go to the BVI'S.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Should you decide to do Caneel, you may wish to consider Marriott's Frenchman's reef/MorningStar Hotels, St/ Thomas for your other week since I believe it would fit your budget. They are beautiful hotels. Morningstar is more intimate and islandy, but it may be closed during August Frenchman's Reef has spectacular views, and a pool with a swim-up bar. You might want to check out their meal plans. Dining in the Caribbean can be a sticker price shocking experience, and it is nice to be able to order anything from the menues without regard to costs. I have had good meals at their restaurants, Tavern on the Beach, (My favorite) and Windows. Poolside lunch high on the cliff offers spectacular views. Great day trips are New Horizons II to the Bvi. It includes The famous basths and a trip to Jost Van Dyke. (Bring your passport or birth certificate. This I arranged independently from the hotel. A road trip seeing St. Thomas - outstanding highlights of St. Thomas - well worth the price. It can be arranged through the hotel. If you are planning to do St. John/Caneel, do not do any day trips there as you will be replicating your experience.

Should you decide to do St. Thomas/St. John, do St. Thomas first and save the best for last. Upon arriving on St. Thomas you will be very happy, because it offers beautiful vistas. Upon traveling to St. John, you will find it pails in comparison.

To save at Caneel, look at the "Simply Caneel" package rates. For approximately $75/person/day additional, (this may seem pricey, but it is difficult to enjoy good 3 meals a day dining experinces on St. John for that or less), you can order anything from the menues of their formal or casual restaurants. Also included is airport transfers worth $130/couple. Belive me, it is the best way to go to Caneel, and you will be treated like a million.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 06:11 AM

I would recommend spending the second week in the BVI. Either Virgin Gorda or Jost Van Dyke. You may want to check out Sandcastle on Jost Van Dyke. It would likely fit into your budget. We visited both islands in day trips from Tortolla. The baths are nice on Virgin Gorda and we thought that VG was more quiet/rustic than Tortolla. Very pretty and the beaches are nicer also. White Bay on Jost is to die for. Sparkling white sand and clear calm blue water. It was the highlight of our trip. Just some ideas for you to consider. Have a great honeymoon wherever you decide to go.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM

You might look into Estate Lindholm on St. John. I have heard incredible things about it. I agree with the Caneel Bay vetos. St. John continues to be my favorite island and I've been to most in the Carib, and all of the Hawaiian isles. You just can't go wrong with the beaches and water on St. John - although August can be an iffy weather month in the Carib. Kauai is WONDERFUL in August - gorgeous scenery, incredible beaches, fabulous resorts. Since you're on the west coast, it's a short flight.... but then there's always French Polynesia and the Cook Isles.....
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Tyler, we've stayed at Gallows Point, and absolutely loved it! You can walk right into Cruz Bay in less than 5 minutes, and there are wonderful restaurants there. We chose a beautiful 2 floor accomodation facing Cruz Bay, and enjoyed watching the boats and action in town. They have a nice pool, and a tiny, rocky beach. But once you get in, the snorkeling is great. You can walk (about 1/2 hr) through a very nice wooded area to a couple of beautiful white sand beaches (one is clothing optional...1 person was on it). These beaches are not accessible except by boat or hike, so very empty! The rest of the island is mostly national park, and just gorgeous! You only need to rent a car for 2 days or so to see the rest of the island. It is all very laid back, and the locals are friendly. IMO, St. Thomas is not very nice, and we took the ferry right from downtown to St. John rather than driving through the island to Redhook. The ferry trip was beautiful. The other end of the island has some great deserted beaches, and cool bars! If not this time, don't miss visiting St. John! We have been to the Caribbean nearly 20 times, and it is our favorite island, along with Bonaire. Good luck and have fun!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM

I suppose being from Seattle.....you have been to Hawaii????/

I am from east coast and been to all the islands and Hawaii.....would choose Hawaii
Lanai, Big island...

But, St Lucia is a lush island and difficult to get around......St John is definately prettier beaches and water....I agree that Virgin Gorda or Peter Isalnd might be nice.....

Ever consider Anguilla or st barths?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -