Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Direct flights from NYC to Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/direct-flights-from-nyc-to-caribbean-564438/)

nico_sara Oct 13th, 2005 07:05 PM

Direct flights from NYC to Caribbean

Can anyone please help me figure out where in the Caribbean I can fly to directly from NYC?
Thanks!

bgans Oct 13th, 2005 07:37 PM

American flies direct from JFK to many of the islands. Check their website.

Sunnyboy Oct 14th, 2005 06:00 AM

Just to clarify, in Airline parlance "direct" means a flight that originates in one city, makes one or more stops in intermediate cities before reaching its final destination This differs from a "connecting flight" in that you stay on the same aircraft for the duration of your trip. "Non-Stop" is just that - you board the plane in your departure city and de-plane at the next stop.

I'm assuming you actually want to know which islands you can reach "non-stop" from NYC. If that's the case then the answer is: Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Grand Caymen, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, Barbados, Aruba and possibily St. Lucia (it's been a while since I've checked on that particular destination from NYC).

nico_sara Oct 14th, 2005 06:12 AM

Actually, direct would be fine for us. We'll be traveling with 2 small children and don't want to change planes with all the carseats, strollers, etc. But we don't mind staying on the plane if there are intermediate stops.
Thanks again!

Sunnyboy Oct 14th, 2005 07:31 AM

First - I was only pointing out the difference between non-stop and direct flights so you'd know not to request a "direct flight" if you could reach the same destination "non-stop". I did not mean to imply you'd have more destination choices if you flew "direct". Regardless of whether you fly non-stop or direct to the Caribbean from any of the three major NYC airports you should know that (with the possible addition of St. Kitts) you are going to be limited to the islands previously mentioned if you are not willing to change planes. That's because those are the only ones that can handle the larger commercial jets. Although not in the Caribbean, I believe you can get to Bermuda, Nassau, Grand Bahamas and Providenciales (in the Turks & Caicos) either non-stop or direct from the NYC area - so those destinations will expand your island choices somewhat.

marymarra Oct 14th, 2005 10:31 AM

Sunnyboy has given you good advice and I would just add that having done this route with a small child that you want to try and fly "nonstop;" it is not unheard of to be delayed in Miami or San Juan (two of the places you would be likely to change planes) and keeping kids entertained, fed, etc. in busy aiports turns into a hassle.

Lots of folks here have recommendations on good family resorts if you need that.

Mary in D.C.

nico_sara Oct 14th, 2005 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the info.... now we can start looking into resorts!

mnag Oct 14th, 2005 10:36 AM

Turks and Caicos (provo). Its a 3.5 hour flight from JFK. Most of the hotels are like condo's with kitchens and washer/dryer. We have a toddler and picked provo this past May for the convinient flight from NY.

blamona Oct 14th, 2005 12:18 PM

I second Turks and Caicos. Perfect beach for kids. (and grownups too)