Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Direct flights from Newark with 11 and 14 yr old in April (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/direct-flights-from-newark-with-11-and-14-yr-old-in-april-912382/)

semeehan Nov 16th, 2011 12:48 PM

Direct flights from Newark with 11 and 14 yr old in April

Hi,

I'm trying to narrow our search down to Caribbean islands with direct flights from Newark. I really loved the Virgin Islands and considered returning, but we would have to transfer once or twice! It used to be non-stop on Continental. We have also been to Puerto Rico (nice, but don't want to return) and St. Martin (not with kids) and Aruba (not much to do). We don't like big, all inclusive resorts and would want some sort of condo for a week in April (Easter-high season) We are looking for a place to do some activities with our kids,not just a beach. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks!

Susan

doug_stallings Nov 16th, 2011 01:09 PM

This is fairly simple. Check to see where Continental flies in the Caribbean from EWR and then make your choice. JetBlue offers no nonstop flights to the Caribbean from EWR, so if you are really set on no connections, you may have no other choice of airlines. You'll have many many other choices if you can leave from JFK.

If you really want to rent a condo and don't want to go to Aruba or Puerto Rico, though, I think your best bet is Grand Cayman, but I don't know if there are nonstop flights from EWR there. It might also be possible to get to Curacao on a nonstop, and there are a few condo options there.

FYI: If you go the week after Easter, it's not usually high season (well, on some islands it is until April 15). If you go the week before it is always high season. Easter this year is on April 8. You'll save a lot of money by waiting a week if yuo can.

qwovadis Nov 16th, 2011 01:14 PM

magenspoint.com or maho.org would be my fav safe plays

MoBay/Negril Jamaica cheapcarribean.com has non AI options

lots to do... atlantis.com great stuff for kids might be

more of a resort than you want... great sales right now

cheapoair.com EWR direct screeing site for you...

kayak.com/buzz also

Happy Planning!

blamona Nov 16th, 2011 02:22 PM

Atlantis would be excellent if ewr flies to Nassau.
I was going to suggest Turks and Caicos they have direct flights on Continental, and have condos. But if you were bored in Aruba, there's probably even less to do there. Turks is all about the water, snorkel, parasail, banana boats, Snuba, scuba, skiing, jet ski, boat excursions.

For many activities, you might want to consider Mexico, somewhere around playa area, I would think there's flights to Cancun, but then you still have to travel by car.

If caymans has direct flight, it might fill your requirements. But other than snorkel, scuba and stingray city, if you think not much to do in Aruba you'll probably think the same of most Caribbean islands, they are too small to have much.

doug_stallings Nov 17th, 2011 05:35 AM

If you simply can't or won't fly from JFK, you also have many more options if you can fly from Philadelphia. USAirways has several nonstop Caribbean flights, including one to the USVI, I believe.

wliwl Nov 17th, 2011 07:14 AM

What about St. Marten did you not like with the kids? I ask because I'm thinking it might be a problem on a lot of islands. Also, what sorts of other activities besides the beach? Thx.

semeehan Nov 19th, 2011 04:11 AM

Thanks for all your help. i hadn't considered flying out of Philadelphia, I'll look into it. I had also forgotten the Florida Keys. I think there is lots to do (at the very north and south). We didn't go to St. Martin with the kids, I'm not sure I'd want to go back. Maybe it's all the clothing optional beaches...i thought it was more couple friendly.

semeehan Nov 19th, 2011 04:12 AM

and activities might be hiking, snorkling, power sailing...

virginia Nov 19th, 2011 05:00 AM

you can fly ewr to cancun nonstop. plenty of condos all down the coast from cancun to tulum. i too think playa del carmen would be a good spot but akumal might be better. much much smaller town - safe with good snorkeling off the beach & at yal-ku lagoon. near everything!!
to do's: fishing (deepsea or bone), scuba/snorkel, tennis/golf, atv jungle rides, horseback riding, ruins to tour (chichen itza, tulum or coba), ziplines, caves & cenotes to explore. also 2 fantastic ecowater parks: xel-ha which is the more low key of the 2 & xcaret which is busier, has more exhibits & a cool night show.
locogringo.com has info on all these activities plus listings of condo's & villas for rent. it's an outstanding site with all the info you need to visit the area on one web site.
http://xcaret.com/
http://xel-ha.com/

Quark Nov 19th, 2011 05:05 AM

You can fly into Cancun direct and go to Playa del Carmen. You can rent a condo and a car. There are ruins to see, snorkeling with the turtles at Akumel, Xel-Ha Park, Xcaret Eco Theme Park, 5th Avenue.

semeehan Nov 22nd, 2011 04:27 PM

thank you!