Destiny III Catamaran Charter and BoatsatSea

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2022, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time poster, huge fan of Fodors travel from back in the day of printed books! I wish I knew about this forum prior to booking our unforgettable unforgettable experience.

Destiny III charter and Lauren from the Boats at Sea brokers. STAY AWAY!

After wiring the entire charter amount upfront, with no recourse, we were excited about our first charter experience. The boat broker, Lauren at Boats at Sea, offered a few boats but really liked this one for our family. I made sure it has the essentials, like air conditioning, and read the scant reviews.
A few days before our trip, after covid testing and awaiting our flight to George Town, the owner calls and informs us of no working generator and no AC. He will put us in a Marina nightly, if we desire, to cool off the cabins. We were locked in at this point, so we agreed.
When we arrived on the boat, the stench from the toilets was overpowering. They would not allow us to flush toilet paper down the commode. What? 2022 and we are back to portapotties?
So hot and stinky was our theme. Oh and the first night the Marina power wasn’t working, so really hot and stinky.
The water maker was sub par - conservation was the other theme. And no ice maker? One bag of ice when we left port. Kinda hard to make blender drinks, when in the Marina as we had no generator, without ice.

The captain and chef were great and made the most of what they had to work with.

I asked Lauren at Boats at Sea - (1)would you ever put a charter on a boat with no generator and (2) would you ever put a charter on a boat with no TP for the head. Her answers to both were obvious. She told me, after we got back, the owner is supposed to disclose this but didn’t (and she couldn’t think of any other boats with this rule). She told him it was unacceptable and he will now allow it. Shame on the owner for not disclosing this.

If we knew this before, we would have chosen a different boat/broker or experience. There were less expensive options for sure- this was middle of the pack.

Just my 0.02

​​​​​​​jr