Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Destination for a family with 2 active teenage boys with AWESOME beaches and fantastic service! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/destination-for-a-family-with-2-active-teenage-boys-with-awesome-beaches-and-fantastic-service-450455/)

rede440 Nov 8th, 2008 05:53 AM

Destination for a family with 2 active teenage boys with AWESOME beaches and fantastic service!

Hi! We're looking for a great post Xmas getaway to some place warm, fairly easy to get to from Baltimore (we can drive to Philly for flights), with lots of activities, high end, great service and AWESOME beach! We went to the Ritz at Grand Cayman last year which was nice but the beach was cramped and I felt we had to fight for a chair by the water. Also taken them to Casa De Campo which was a hit because of all the activities but the beach there is terrible. They both like to snorkel, skeet shoot, water ski, etc. Tennis is a plus but not necessary. Any ideas? We're willing to go to Mexico too but seems like it would be a longer flight. I know we're late booking but am thinking that maybe with the economy there will be some availability.

RoamsAround Nov 8th, 2008 06:53 AM

Check out Cap Juluca or Cusinart on Anguilla.

rede440 Nov 9th, 2008 09:20 AM

Wow, Cap Juluca looks wonderful! Unfortunately both are booked :-(

blamona Nov 9th, 2008 10:22 AM

Check out The Somerset in Turks and Caicos, or I can recommend other places with tennis courts. If you like the Somerset, you can always go to the golf course for tennis.

T&C has an AWESOME beach. Easy to get too from either Philly direct, or from Baltimore connecting through Charlotte. Service at Somerset is very nice, or for a Ritz feel check out The Regent Palms next door.

Great snorkeling, if you walk down the beach about 15 minutes, many boat excursions with good snorkeling too. No skeet shoot (I don't know where in Caribbean you'd find that?) You can't water ski in Grace Bay, but you can banana boat and parasail. You can go skiing up the cays or other areas of Provo (they'll pick you up for it.)

Let me know what you think.

Tuxedocat Nov 11th, 2008 06:52 AM

I think there are direct flights from Philly to St. Thomas, the gateway to the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. The beaches are innumerable, there is a Ritz Carlton there too, and of course, no end of watersports, sight-seeing etc. Just a thought.

Anguillagirl Nov 11th, 2008 07:10 AM

I would recommend Anguilla as well, specifically Cuisinart. It is definately high end with great service. My only concern is there isn't enough to do to keep your guys busy. The beaches are just awesome and not at all crowded like you experienced in Cayman. Anguilla is our favorite place in the world.

bajangirl Nov 11th, 2008 01:07 PM

I would also recommend Anguilla. If Cap Juluca and CuisinArt are unavailable, Malliouhana is also high end and Sheriva.

ScottB Nov 11th, 2008 01:25 PM

As nice as Anguilla is, I think two "Active Teenage Boys" would be bored to death there. Yes the beaches are amazing, but if you want lots of activities for teenagers, Anguilla is just not what I'd call full of activities.

You might find what you are looking for (activity wise) on Aruba. The Hyatt & the Radisson are the top hotels, both on huge stretches of beach, and more activities than they can handle.

NM Nov 11th, 2008 05:59 PM

Agree with Anguilla recommendations but if CJ is booked--for the ultimate in water activities try Bitter End in Virgin Gorda, not great beach but endless number of water sport trips to other small islands, sailing, snorkeling, scuba, etc. More activity focused than service/food. Harder to get to but also look at Grenada--we have always taken our kids, now in college, and they love Grenada--varied activites such as hiking thru rain-forest as well as beaches.