Notices

December/January Trip with teens

Sep 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

December/January Trip with teens

Trying to decide where to go…three teens who love to be active, husband who loves good food. Looking at Casa de Campo at Dominican Republic, but not sure if that is the best intro to the caribbean for family. Also, would it be more cost effective to just go to resort and pay as we go?
Sep 13th, 2015, 07:40 AM

Hello VBAmbwani,

I saw your post. I recently went on a cruise to the Caribbean and we visited the BVI and American VI's as well. We saw St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. Our cruise was booked through NCL, and the cost typically starts at $400 per person for the basic package. Very cost effective and there are plenty of things to do on and off the ship. On these islands we visited, we were able to do shore excursions that allowed us to stay active and explore parts of the islands. St. Thomas is a great destination for a family of 5, there is good local food/drink and great views on the island as well. I recommend getting a cab to Coki beach and going snorkeling there, you will not be disappointed.

I provide slightly more detail of my St. Thomas adventure on my blog if you care to read!

http://evstravel.blogspot.com/2015/0...al-island.html

Hope this helps with making a decision. Safe travels!
Sep 13th, 2015, 10:08 AM

I stayed a week at Casa de Campo, with friends who own one of the 'golf townhomes'. Casa de Campo is very upscale. The resort is quite large, with three golf courses, polo fields, a pretty beach, good restaurants, nice clubhouse, decent boutiques, etc.

Only problem is, on Casa de Campo, the lifestyle is more American or European than it is Caribbean. The population there is mostly people who are retired. Because my American friends have lived there for 30 years, they showed us the places the locals go.

Like a charmong little B & B hotel where we stayed our first night, in Santo Domingo. And an authentic restaurant in town where we ate our first dinner, and I tried goat. (I can find the names, if you are interested.)

For one overnight, we drove to the hills, through farmlands of sugar, coffee, chocolate, fruits. Really charming little farms. They use oxen as draft animals, and they were very shiny and healthy looking animals.

The workers we met were welcoming, and proud to show us their work. Children wore uniforms, headed to school on their ponies. It was idyllic. Of course, we were with my friends who speak like locals and knew how to approach the people. I never sensed any resentment, as we were driving in a nice air-conditioned SUV, and they were working in the hot sun.

We toured the mangroves, had a guide for a boat tour of a beautiful area of the North Atlantic (which name I forget), ate wonderful local food like an appetizer of tiny fried fish you eat in one bite.

We stayed at an eco-lodge which was awesome and very inexpensive, with wonderful buffet meals. (I can find the name if you need it.)
Sep 13th, 2015, 10:13 AM

PS. A lot of the privately-owned town homes are on VRBO. My friends' place had a very nicely-landscaped backyard, with a small pool, 3 bdrms with baths, and a cook/housekeeper who is available when they rent their place. She has worked for them for over 20 years, and was fantastic.

I think it rents for about $500/night. So if you look at VRBO, ask if a housekeeper/cook is included.

Search this Thread