Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Dec Beach Snorkeling from your hotel - what's similar to Peter Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I've posted before and trying to narrow down my choices but running into some issues. We want a place in December that's ultra chic and luxurious but my husband wants to snorkel from his own resort. We loved Peter Island but I'm afraid that the beachfront suites are now 7 days and that's too much time. Everyone posts about great snorkeling from shore at 7MB in the Caymans but my husband does not want to get in a car and go to a beach.

This narrows my choice to three:
1) Cap Juluca on Anguilla
2) Caneel Bay at St John in the USVI
3) Ocean Club in the Bahamas

My concern is that Caneel is going to renovate the rooms soon so I might want to delay. Cap Juluca looks awesome as does the Ocean Club.

I've been to Peter Island which holds everything for us. I'm looking for an alternate - does this exist?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:41 PM

I'd go for Caneel Bay no question. Any renovations underway... I'm sure the resort would not allow that to bother you. They've already done a tremendous amount of renovations so I'm sure it is taken into considerations. For goodnesssakes, they are a five star outfit, it's not like they'd allow hammers to disconcert you all day! Check with the resort, I'm sure they will make sure you are well taken care of, and the snorkeling off the resort beaches... FABULOUS.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Caneel Bay is paradise on earth, and a snorkeler's paradise. Their 171 rooms are scattered over 170 acres and SEVEN tree-shaded white sand beaches, all with wade-in snorkeling. No need to beach/snorkel anywhere but on the property. I can't be sure, but it would not seem that they would do intrusive remodeling during the season. It's probably "redecorating."
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:19 AM

I’ve stayed at both, Peter Island and Caneel, I wouldn’t hesitate going to Caneel as an alternative when comparing.
The food at Caneel is nowhere near as good as P.I., so I would suggest you not buy the meal plan. Cruz Bay has excellent restaurants to more then make up for this.
Even if the rooms are under renovation,
I'm sure they would accommodate you in a section, which is away from construction.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM

I am a fan of Caneel having gone there 8-9 times in 15 years but the food is really only average. I am not one of going into Cruz Bay for lunch or breakfast and while dinners are as good or better at a lower price, not much though, the settings are not as nice as Caneel.
The Ocean Club has very good snorkeling, room, and food as I have mentioned on other questions I think Parrot Key in the Turks is worth looking at. I was there Jan. 2004. Cap Jaluca is a bit to sterile for my taste but while I like Peter Island it is a "little" stiff for me. The food is good but I hate buffet's and they have at least 1 meal a day served in that manner.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replys. I'm leaning towards Caneel but I found Stan
's post about the Ocean Club interesting. Is snorkeling good off the beach there?
Is it worth going in mid Dec?
Many thanks for your input
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM

At the Ocean Club off the beach is good but not equal to Caneel, but they took us out several times to local reef areas for 1-2 hours.
It has nicer rooms and better food but you scarifice a bit on the snorkeling.