Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Deaths at Superclubs (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/deaths-at-superclubs-136952/)

Concerned Jan 5th, 2002 12:55 PM

Deaths at Superclubs

Recently I read a trip report that stated about 6 to 10 people die each year while vacationing at these resorts. Alcohol poisoning, head trauma from falls while under the influence, and cardiac events were noted to be common causes. The cardiac events usually were associated with the stresses of alcohol,unaccustomed increased exertion, and perhaps the stimulating environment(Hedonism).Health care and emergency services in Jamaica are still in a developing stage.Most airlines and many athletic facilities now have defibrillators which are effective and simple to operate. Has Superclubs purchased and trained their staff in the use of these life saving devices? I posed this question to them in the past and received no answer, any Superclub devotees aware of the current status.

anon Jan 5th, 2002 07:13 PM

Instead of worrying about defibs why not just avoid the overexertion and overstimulation and excessive drinking that you say causes the accidents and deaths. Seems to me you'd be much better off in the long run than trying to pickle your liver and brain anyway!

Concerned Jan 6th, 2002 08:36 AM

Truly the reply of a shortsighted individual. Defibrillators should be placed in all stadiums, convention facilities, and large resorts and hotels.Alcohol use and overuse along with tobacco dependency is widespread and attempts to deal with it are often unsuccessful.Should these people have a cardiac event are we simply to let them die? There is very few situtions as frustating to be a trained rescuer with no defibrillator at hand. If your relative had a cardiac arrest on an airliner without a defibrillator you would be very angry that nothing was done.

Sally Jan 6th, 2002 10:04 AM

What does alcohol use & tabacco use have to do with each other?

anon Jan 6th, 2002 10:27 AM

Not being so short sited that I couldn't read that you stated the need for the defibs at the resort was due to "alcohol poisoning, head trauma from falls while under the influence, ... the cardiac events were associated with the stresses of alcohol, unaccustomed increased exertion perhaps the stimulating environment." Yes, defibs should be in place and staff trained in their use when necessary and diagnosis of an MI or irregular rhythm may result in death - no matter the cause or precipitating factors! You defined and limited the causes not me and there is no doubt that the defibs when used appropriately can save lives - no matter the cause! Thankfully many are jumping on the bandwagon to have them available for trained personnel for anyone who might suffer a cardiac event. It also behooves those who engage in risky behavior to examine the consequences of those behaviors no matter what those behaviors are so that treatment is not the primary focus of diesease process but prevention becomes paramount. If certain activities are "known" to be associated with death - alcohol poisoning, brain trama related to poor judgement due to intoxication, or a sedentary person "over exerting" himself/herself - an intelligent person might choose to use some moderation or better decision making whether at home or on vacation. I have experienced few cases of any of the above precipitating factors causing a cardiac event en flight other than carrying a too heavy carryon while running thru the airport to catch a plane. Again, maybe that too would be preventable by using good judgment with the size/weight of the carryon or arriving at the airport with plenty of time to spare (except in connections, of course!). In the case of brain trama and alcohol poisioning a defib would not be the choice of treatment. Increased awareness, education, good decision making and monitoring as well as treatment with a defib will all go a long way to decrease the unneccesary deaths due to cardiovascular disease.

Concerned Jan 6th, 2002 12:24 PM

Basically agree with your statements. The original post made no reference to the use of defibrillators for alcohol poisoning or head trauma. It refered to cardiac events. Alcohol influenced behavior can be a precipitating cause of cardiac events. The original post was simply asking for information.

ER personnel Jan 6th, 2002 12:32 PM

Have used defibrillation for cardiac arrests associated with alcohol poisoning and with sequelae of head trauma. During the stabilization process patients can experience life threatening arrythmias.

dtour Jul 23rd, 2002 08:02 PM

I heard it was from bochoelism(bad meat in the can)

ed Jul 24th, 2002 04:33 AM

Question: How did he die?<BR><BR>Answer: He had a massive heart attack at Hedonism brought on by non-stop screwing!

dtour Jul 24th, 2002 06:40 PM

I guess he came and went at the same time.